Cam powered by battery pack

neilmcca69

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
Thanks for letting me in,
I've just bought a 3 series saloon, i was wondering if anyone can lend tips/advice routing wiring from cam on rear windscreen through to boot,
I'd also like to know if its possibe to power the dash cam from a battery pack (like this -Power bank), and in turn have that power bank charged via the cars USB socket/cig lighter)
Reason for this is i'd like to have constant power to the cam so i can utilise it's motion sensor/G sensor.
I also intend installing a cam on the front windscreen, theres possibly a 12v power supply near the glove box, but i haven't checked.

Thanks in advance for any help

Neil.

This is an older thread, but start here, you'll find lots of good discussion and information - Powerbank Battery for a Dashcam

The bottom line is, YES you can use a power bank to operate dash cams. I've been using them for about six years now with excellent results.

Keep in mind that most power banks on the market (like the one you linked) are NOT designed for what is known as "pass-through-charging". ("in turn have that power bank charged via the cars USB socket/cig lighter")

There are a few brands that have the required circuitry to support pass-through-charging but they tend to be expensive. Anker is not one of them. If the product description does not specifically state "supports pass-through-charging", it doesn't, although a number of members here have tried to convince themselves otherwise.

Check out Zendure if you want pass-through-charging. (only certain of their products support it)

Last edited:
Back