Cam Starts "Blinking" On and Off After I Turn Off Ignition

mrq

Reaction score
Country
Andorra
I've had the cam for a couple of years with no issues and it started doing this a couple of weeks ago. What's the problem?

a few years old would be longer than the battery in these normally lasts

How and where do I get the battery? And what does the battery matter if I use the power from the cigarette lighter?

...And what does the battery matter if I use the power from the cigarette lighter?
The battery is what provides power to save the last file when power is removed from the camera (among other things). Without it you stand the chance of losing a critical file in the event something happens and vehicle power is lost.

Last edited:
The battery is what provides power to save the last file when power is removed from the camera (among other things). Without it you stand the chance of losing a critical file in the event something happens and vehicle power is lost.

What kind of battery do I need, where do I buy it and how do I replace it?

What kind of battery do I need, where do I buy it and how do I replace it?
What kind of camera is it? If we have that information someone here may be able to help you.

What kind of camera is it? If we have that information someone here may be able to help you.
Well, we are in the G1WX section, so it's either a G1W or a G1W-H. ;)

Well, we are in the G1WX section, so it's either a G1W or a G1W-H. ;)
...or -C, -BC, etc. :D

But given it's a couple years old it may be 'pre-capacitor'. Not sure when the capacitor versions first came out.

...or -C, -BC, etc. :D

But given it's a couple years old it may be 'pre-capacitor'. Not sure when the capacitor versions first came out.
Well, since the word "battery" was mentioned, I immediately ruled those out. ;)

Original Quality Real Full HD 1080P 1920x1080 H.264 G1W 2.7" LCD bought on Amazon in 2014.

I don't understand. Video is written to the flash drive. Once it's written it's already on the drive and I don't see what impact losing power would have. Or I'm missing something?

I don't understand. Video is written to the flash drive. Once it's written it's already on the drive and I don't see what impact losing power would have. Or I'm missing something?
It's true that the file is written to the card in 'real time'. However, when the primary power is removed from the camera that file still needs to be properly closed out, or finalized if you prefer. The battery, or capacitor if that's the type of camera you have, is a secondary internal source that provides the power for this function. If you don't have a properly functioning battery then the last file is not properly finalized and thus becomes unusable. Hope this helps.

As to where to get a replacement and how to install it I believe there is a thread somewhere addressing that. Just did a quick look and couldn't locate it but I'm pretty sure I've seen it here on DCT somewhere. Maybe someone else can jump in and help with that.

Edit: Just found the thread I was looking for:

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/g1wh-battery-replacement.21268/

Last edited:
OK, I understood that battery needs to be changed. Any brands/models, places to buy?

Dismounted camera and see what type of battery you heave.
So you know what to look for.
That unless you not find useful information on the net.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C G1WX 3
R G1WX 9
H G1WX 20
Back