Cam that will attach to home network

Noggin

Reaction score
Country
United States
I currently have a Viofo camera that's a bit over a year old. It's my third or fourth one, and it died a day or two ago. It powers up and down, makes the sounds I'd expect, but shows a ton of icons on the display and the display doesn't show what is in front of the camera. So, I'm on the market for a new camera.

I'm looking to spend up to $400 for a nicer camera if it has the features I want, otherwise I'll probably to with a cheap, budget camera. My ideal camera would have:
  • WIFi - It would connect to my home network and expose all the files stored on it via Samba, FTP, or some other way to allow me to browse the files on the card. I'd then copy them off of the card and store them on my home file server.
  • Dual power input, remote input, something like that - It'd have a constant 12v power input and a switched input so the camera would know when the vehicle was on or off. When on, it'd record video. When off, it might record time lapse or something of that sort.
  • GPS - I think I'd prefer GPS. I'm worried that I might be found at fault in an accident if I were speeding or something of that sort, but I really don't speed often, and when I do its only a couple MPH. I currently have GPS enabled.
  • Display - I'd like to see the display so I know if it is working or not. (Which reminds me, I need to pull the card... even though the display on my current camera is ****ed, it might still be working)
  • Dual camera would be a plus
WiFi and the ability to remotely copy files off of the camera without needing to connect to an access point is the main "nice feature" that I'm looking for. It should go without saying that it needs to have good day and night recording capabilities. Copying files automatically isn't worth a damn if you can't see squat.

May I know which VIOFO camera model you have now, I wish we can help you to solve the issue.

For your expectation for new camera, our coming model may meet your requirement, the camera still use 5V power input.

This particular camera is an A119S-G, purchased from Adorama on Jan 19, 2017. I received it on Feb 2, 2017 and installed it in April. This is an earlier model that suffered from a poor connection from the GPS and experienced reboots. In cold weather, near 0°C, it experiences rebooting issues. As you can see from the pictures, I power the dashcam from the camera, not from the GPS so this shouldn't be an issue with the poor GPS connection. I can usually get it to stop rebooting if I unplug and plug in the power cable multiple times. I am unsure if this is an issue with the camera or with the power supply. While this is occurring, the display turns on and shows the splash screen. After a few seconds, it shows the camera view. After a few more seconds, the display fades to black (not the screensaver mode) and then the system restarts.

Attached are two pictures. The fist picture clearly shows the Viofo splash screen. This strongly indicates that the display cable connection is good. Below that, you can see what appears to be a garbled image on part of the screen and black on the rest of the screen. I took these pictures this morning while it was dark, but my headlights were on so I would expect to see something on the camera display. During daytime, the right half of the screen is still black. My drive into work is about 30 minutes. The screen saver is set to 3 minutes. The display never went into screen saver mode. When my truck is turned off, or if I unplug the USB cable, the unit doesn't seem to detect that power was removed as it remains running for several seconds and then fades off.

I am interested in your new camera, but I'm looking to buy something in the next few days.

Attachments

• A119S-G 1.jpg
    A119S-G 1.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 16
  • A119S-G 2.jpg
    A119S-G 2.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 15
This particular camera is an A119S-G, purchased from Adorama on Jan 19, 2017. I received it on Feb 2, 2017 and installed it in April. This is an earlier model that suffered from a poor connection from the GPS and experienced reboots. In cold weather, near 0°C, it experiences rebooting issues. As you can see from the pictures, I power the dashcam from the camera, not from the GPS so this shouldn't be an issue with the poor GPS connection. I can usually get it to stop rebooting if I unplug and plug in the power cable multiple times. I am unsure if this is an issue with the camera or with the power supply. While this is occurring, the display turns on and shows the splash screen. After a few seconds, it shows the camera view. After a few more seconds, the display fades to black (not the screensaver mode) and then the system restarts.

Attached are two pictures. The fist picture clearly shows the Viofo splash screen. This strongly indicates that the display cable connection is good. Below that, you can see what appears to be a garbled image on part of the screen and black on the rest of the screen. I took these pictures this morning while it was dark, but my headlights were on so I would expect to see something on the camera display. During daytime, the right half of the screen is still black. My drive into work is about 30 minutes. The screen saver is set to 3 minutes. The display never went into screen saver mode. When my truck is turned off, or if I unplug the USB cable, the unit doesn't seem to detect that power was removed as it remains running for several seconds and then fades off.

I am interested in your new camera, but I'm looking to buy something in the next few days.
Update to the latest firmware and your camera will be fine. The XXXXXXX issue was solved a few updates ago. V2.4 is the latest for the A119S.

Reactions: Mtz
Nice! Don't forget to manually default the cameras settings after the update.
Looked like they already went to defaults. I'll manually hit the default option in case something is hiding in a wonky state and then set it up like I want it.

Thanks again.

Back