Camera always shows Firmware Update screen when plugged into PC

FatOldSun

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently selected the Firmware Update option when plugged into my PC. I opened up MyNextBase Player and performed the firmware update. However, each time I connect it to my PC, it displays the Firmware Update screen with the message Use MyNextBase Player to update your Dash Cam Firmware, by selecting "Update Dash Cam". I've checked MyNextBase Player and it says I have the latest firmware. I also reinstalled the latest firmware by copying the files to the SD card, but although it ran the update it didn't fix the problem. The camera works fine when plugged into the car, it's just when plugged into the PC that there's an issue. How do I get the menu to come back?

Dashcams will often go into 'data mode' when they detect a PC. This is to offload any footage.

Does the dashcam appear as a device or drive letter in Windows ?

I recently selected the Firmware Update option when plugged into my PC. I opened up MyNextBase Player and performed the firmware update. However, each time I connect it to my PC, it displays the Firmware Update screen with the message Use MyNextBase Player to update your Dash Cam Firmware, by selecting "Update Dash Cam". I've checked MyNextBase Player and it says I have the latest firmware. I also reinstalled the latest firmware by copying the files to the SD card, but although it ran the update it didn't fix the problem. The camera works fine when plugged into the car, it's just when plugged into the PC that there's an issue. How do I get the menu to come back?
Hi,

When plugged into a computer, the camera will remember the last used data mode. In your case this is Firmware Update mode- it doesn't mean your dashcam requires a firmware update. Every time the camera is plugged in, it will resume the previously used mode. To go back to the PC menu: unplug the USB cable from the dashcam, press the reset button on the underside of the dashcam and the plug the USB cable back in. You should now see 'Access Files', 'Power On' and 'Firmware Update'.

Access Files will let you access the files on a computer, but not delete the files.
Power On will let you access the camera's settings via the camera (e.g. the computer is only used as a power source).
Firmware Update will let you update the firmware from the computer or delete files, or format the SD card.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

Hi,

When plugged into a computer, the camera will remember the last used data mode. In your case this is Firmware Update mode- it doesn't mean your dashcam requires a firmware update. Every time the camera is plugged in, it will resume the previously used mode. To go back to the PC menu: unplug the USB cable from the dashcam, press the reset button on the underside of the dashcam and the plug the USB cable back in. You should now see 'Access Files', 'Power On' and 'Firmware Update'.

Access Files will let you access the files on a computer, but not delete the files.
Power On will let you access the camera's settings via the camera (e.g. the computer is only used as a power source).
Firmware Update will let you update the firmware from the computer or delete files, or format the SD card.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Kind regards,
Millie
Thanks Millie, I'll give that a go. I'm sure I pressed the reset button but probably while it was still plugged in. Might be useful to add that to a guide somewhere. At least in Firmware Update mode I could still access the data, it was just bugging me.

In the end, the only way I managed to get rid of this message was to format the card, copy some newer firmware files to it, then restart it. It performed the firmware update, restarted, and took me back to the main menu.

Thanks for updating this thread, it's great to hear that you've resolved the issue. Thanks for your feedback about the firmware!

Kind regards,
Millie

Back