Camera case leak - Condensation water - Camera now unusable

Richard Lynch

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi Gitup,

Recently purchased Gitup2 camera and updated the firmware.

After using the camera while Kayaking i noticed a small patch of condensation between the clear plastic case and the black plastic.

When i replayed the footage on my laptop and the camera. th efootage was degraded. Stopped/Start and mostly scrambeled. Totally unusuable and very disappointed. The audio appears to be ok but the picture and video is totally messed up. I really like the camera but really disappointed.

Please contact me as soon as possible.

Richard Lynch

upload_2016-6-5_11-5-39.png

upload_2016-6-5_11-6-15.png

Have you tested the memory card with h2testw to make sure it's not a bad card and just coincidence that you saw a little condensation? Just to rule out that possibility...

You will need to format the card before testing so back up the files first in case they're needed.

I don't think the quality was caused by condensation as I have seen in your screenshot it was like your pc was unable to decode the video properly, I also have that kind of rendering by vlc when playing bluray disk. You can try to play the video with other pc/mobile phone

@Richard Lynch, please share raw / original videos to download for forum members, so we can try playback on our PCs. You can use dropbox or mega.nz

I don't think the quality was caused by condensation as I have seen in your screenshot it was like your pc was unable to decode the video properly, I also have that kind of rendering by vlc when playing bluray disk. You can try to play the video with other pc/mobile phone

I was going to post a similar remark as I've seen VCL render files the same way. There are different reasons this can happen in VLC, often memory/codec related.

Try another media player. The problem may not be the camera.

Last edited:
After using the camera while Kayaking i noticed a small patch of condensation between the clear plastic case and the black plastic.
A little condensation on the case is normal when you put it into water that is cooler than the air and the case cools, it does not mean that there is a leak or that the warm camera will have condensation inside, if the camera is turned on then it will stay too warm to have any condensation in it. It seems unlikely that the problem was caused by condensation.

Looking at your image above, it doesn't look like the camera was in water, did the camera go in the water or did it just get some splashes on it?
How much water was inside?

Hi
I have complete the test of the card using H2Testw for read and write - no issues were found.
I also tested against a known card without any issues and the came issues were found. It now looks very likely that the leak/condensation from the camera case looks to have really affected the camera working. this is disappointing as it is only the second time i have used this camera.

I have attempted to play the files using the follows
Windows movies and TV - Application tries to open then crashes and closes
VLC - Opens file but footage stutters or is scrambled
Google Photos - File shown as 0.00 lenght - when played playback is frozen or skip through the file, much like VLC Playback

Please note that the laptop/VLC/Windows all have previously played back the files without issue. Playback has only failed since the condensation was spotted in the case. This condensation was seen between the clear plastic of the case and the black plastic of the case lense section.

Here is a drop box link
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xycxwkclgd60r8u/2015_0101_013527_005.MP4?dl=0 smallest file
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ljeyazzl671xvb7/2015_0101_225613_007.MP4?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f2uo3naz4z9e79l/2015_0102_003355_011.MP4?dl=0

Has anyone experienced the same
Can soemone from GitUP get in contact please
@gitup @GitupII

Support welcome

A little condensation on the case is normal when you put it into water that is cooler than the air and the case cools, it does not mean that there is a leak or that the warm camera will have condensation inside, if the camera is turned on then it will stay too warm to have any condensation in it. It seems unlikely that the problem was caused by condensation.

Looking at your image above, it doesn't look like the camera was in water, did the camera go in the water or did it just get some splashes on it?
How much water was inside?

Both - the camera would have been sumerged and had splashes on it
The first time was small just about 2-3 milimeters
Second time was more substantial over 5-6 mm and heavier
The camera has not functioned correctly since the first time
The firmware was update before the first time this happened
The condensation/water occurred on the join between the two plastics which is possibly the telling part.
Its a new camera - i really like Gitup - Suggestions welcome - i am anxious to resolve as soon as possible as i will need it

Thanks @Nigel

Hi @Dashmellow

I have testing on the following but the problem is universal

I have attempted to play the files using the follows
Windows movies and TV - Application tries to open then crashes and closes
VLC - Opens file but footage stutters or is scrambled
Google Photos - File shown as 0.00 lenght - when played playback is frozen or skip through the file, much like VLC Playback

@Richard Lynch, please share raw / original videos to download for forum members, so we can try playback on our PCs. You can use dropbox or mega.nz
@niko thanks for your message- please see links below - assistance welcomed as i like the camera and need it ahead of vacation

Last edited:
All 3 of those clips play fine when i just steam / view them off ther dropbox adress, and i have just downloaded the _011 clip and it play fine on my computer using the windows player.

When playing the files do you do so off the camera or do you have the SD card out and in a card reader. ?

All 3 of those clips play fine when i just steam / view them off ther dropbox adress, and i have just downloaded the _011 clip and it play fine on my computer using the windows player.

When playing the files do you do so off the camera or do you have the SD card out and in a card reader. ?

@kamkar1 - thanks for the suppoirt - i compy the files from camera sd card to the lapttop and play directly5 from the laptop. That is were i run into problems on play back. The files in question are 4k.

Your original file ( 2880 x 2160, 24.5Mbps ( 24Fps ) play well on my PC. Tested with VLC, KMPlayer, WMP.
Maybe you need to update your Codec Pack ?

Back