Camera constanly rebooting while driving the car.

Auld Reekie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why Does my Garmin 55+ switch itself off while driving then turn itself back on a minute later. outside temp' 18c in car cooler due to A/C being on.
I bought this 55+ a week ago, had it hard wired by Halfords fitter to my 2019 Fiesta, also parking mode cable installed too. SD card is a Transcend High Endurance Card 64GB.
Now while driving the car the camera is switching itself off only to reboot again with the annoying beep. Once it starts up again it will last about 30 seconds then it beeps again with the message "Camera will turn off in 5 seconds then stop recording" once it has powered off it will switch back on in less than a 1 minute then repeat the message "Camera will turn off in 5 seconds then stop recording" a few seconds later. I've disabled Auto Start/Stop thinking it might have something to do with it, Start/stop makes no difference.
I've tried disabling parking mode, event detection, record audio, lane assist, alerts etc but it still shuts down and restarts, the beep every minute is a PIA.
Looking through the files some video file-sizes range from 122.400KB, 102.400KB, 20.480 KB & 40.960, I assume the smaller file-size is where the camera is rebooting.
Car is currently parked up (without dashcam connected) car battery is showing 12.36v on multi-meter.
Battery cut-off box jumper is set on 12.7v. I assume while engine is running power is coming is above 12.7v .

Interesting thing is when idling at traffic lights for example it is ok.
Is my Garmin 55+ broken?
Do I need to take it back to Halfords or am I missing something.

Last edited:
When you say 55+ do you mean 56?

Sounds like you are having a power problem of some kind. Non of the setting should affect when this “turn off in 5 seconds” message occurs.

Did you try with the included CLA and usb cables? If those work properly id bet your parking mode cable was installed incorrectly or there are weird things going on with your cars power.

55+ https://tinyurl.com/y6c5or4b

I'm beginning to think along these lines. He put the fusetaps on fuse 3 & 17, 3 apparently is live for parking assist, my car doesn't have that module fitted. 17 is for infotainment which comes on with ignition. If ignition is switched off radio will continue for one hour then turn off. I assume that should be OK for cam. Perhaps the guy got the two connectors the wrong way round.

I'm ready to tell them to remove it all and refund me, which is a shame cause the video quality is good.

Battery cut-off box jumper is set on 12.7v. I assume while engine is running power is coming is above 12.7v .
depends on the car and which circuit it is connected to, car battery is typically around 14.5v when running in modern cars, there are some situations when they don't charge even when running, such a high cutoff point could cause a problem, your battery would dip below 12.7v when parked within a matter of minutes so that setting is not practical if you want parking mode

memory card and power supply are the two most common causes of this type of issue, substitute the cig power lead for the hardwire for a bit and see if it still misbehaves, if it does, look at the memory card

There is no setting for 12.7 volts. The choices in the box are 12.3, 12.0, and 11.7.

Reformat the memory card. Also, use the power cord (cig power cord) as jokiin suggested above to get it working while driving. If it works ok, then trouble shoot the parking cable. Those connections may be incorrect.

A wee update on the above problem, firstly thanks to all who replied.
It seems dropping the cut-off voltage from 12.3v down to 12v seems to have made the camera behave itself, at least for now.
Took the car a 25mile journey and every Unsaved video file-size was the same apart from last clip before it was switched off, no missing gaps.
I set parking mode for 8 hours but got 6hrs, raining most of the evening triggered lots. perhaps 2 hours of nothing , at least it works. Car battery still had plenty juice in it in the morning.

Impressed with the video quality, I've found 1080x30 works fine for me, looks sharp, I also took the polaroid filter off, I think the filter makes the video a tad too dark. Just a shame Garmin doesn't do a viewer that shows a gps map of your travels. I know there is a method somewhere on the forum, I'll need to check it out, only problem is Registrator viewer seems hard to get for Win10

Thanks all for your help.(y)

Back