Camera fails any time a button is pushed.

securityguyNZ

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Hey all,

I've had a good look and a search of my problem and can't seem to see it elsewhere.

I've followed ALL reset/reboot/format etc instructions and opened up a support ticket with Viofo (which unfortunately is taking 2 or 3 days between messages) and my issue remains.

Whatever size/branded card I insert into my camera, IF it starts to record it will immediately fail the moment I touch any button on the camera. It beeps several times and then tells me to insert a memory card.

Getting frustrated and looking elsewhere *which as you all know is another problem in itself :)

Any ideas welcome!

Cheers team.

What firmware do you use?
What cards have you tried?
Have you tried to reflash the firmware?

What firmware do you use?
What cards have you tried?
Have you tried to reflash the firmware?

It happened when I was using a SanDisk High Endurance 256gb on I believe firmware version 1.2 or something. I'd been using this card for about 5 months with no problems. Reading comments I thought updating the firmware to 2.0 might help me so used a Samsung Evo 32gb to update the firmware. While this updated the firmware, it didn't fix the issue of the camera now not seeing ANY SD card.
I have tried to reflash the firmware again just now, no luck.

There is a V2.1 that might be worth trying.

Was the camera working fine for 5 months or just the card in another device was working fine for 5 months?

How are you powering the camera?

Given you updated the camera firmware using a Samsung EVO card, the camera did work off that card. Your Sandisk card may be dead.

Some dash camera maker mentions not to use a Sandisk card and stay with the Samsung EVO U3 series (Newer ones are out now too: 2019 High Endurance, and Max Endurance with a better warranty.). That said, these cards do seem to fail after a few months of heavy write-read cycles. There is software to test these cards in your computer to see if they still are good. I had one where it stuck at about the same spot when trying to test it.

There was always issues with Sandisk cards, even before Samsung made cards, actually that was what triggered Samsung to make their own cards.
Years ago, before Samsung made cards, Samsung smart phone owners were complaining that their Samsung phones were frying their Sandisk cards. Samsung wanting to prove that it was Sandisk card problems and not their phones, release their own cards just to make a point.

There is a V2.1 that might be worth trying.

Was the camera working fine for 5 months or just the card in another device was working fine for 5 months?

How are you powering the camera?

Both the camera and card in the camera were working fine for 5 months.
It was always powered by the GPS mount but I tried powering just the camera with no luck.

Given you updated the camera firmware using a Samsung EVO card, the camera did work off that card. Your Sandisk card may be dead.

Some dash camera maker mentions not to use a Sandisk card and stay with the Samsung EVO U3 series (Newer ones are out now too: 2019 High Endurance, and Max Endurance with a better warranty.). That said, these cards do seem to fail after a few months of heavy write-read cycles. There is software to test these cards in your computer to see if they still are good. I had one where it stuck at about the same spot when trying to test it.

I thought about this, but the moment I tried to access the menu via the camera, using the EVO card, the same thing happened as the initial issue. The camera keeps beeping telling me to insert a memory card. And I have tried several differing ones now with the same response.
I could accept if the Sandisk had failed, it definitely has been heavy use, but it passed the h2testw and works fine in my DSLR camera.

Are you using the Viofo 3-wire kit or 12V car adapter?

Try formatting the card with SDFormatter. Do the full overwrite, not the quick format. After SDFormatter, format again inside the camera.

That's the formatter I used before testing the card. When I put in inside the camera to format it , it told me to insert a memory card. This happened with 4 different cards.
It's powered either by OBD or a powerbank,

tried powering the camera by the included power supply?
I'll give that a go in a second vehicle, unfortunately the vehicle I predominantly use with this camera has a faulty cigarette light adapter. Keeps blowing fuses.

tried powering the camera by the included power supply?

Yup. Used the plug and cable that came with the camera in both the camera and the mount with no luck at all. Looking more and more like a hardware problem. Support is horrendously slow in replying unfortunately. Likely my last Viofo.

Yup. Used the plug and cable that came with the camera in both the camera and the mount with no luck at all. Looking more and more like a hardware problem. Support is horrendously slow in replying unfortunately. Likely my last Viofo.
Contact your seller for warranty info.

Hey all, just an update. Viofo have asked I send the camera back of repair/replacement so I can't complain at that. Painfully slow but we do have a solution.

Back