Camera focus

Alan-GTC-

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Does anyone else have issues when the camera takes time to focus? I have witnessed both my wifes and my camera take about 10 minutes from first use to provide sharp and in focus images.

The first 10 minutes look blurred almost as if the camera had vaseline over the lens.

We both have the Moovika polarised lens attached to eliminate glare. Removing this results in the same blurred image so I am convinced it is a feature of the camera.

Other possibility is with the cold mornings the lens maybe slightly misted and it is something to do with the temperature of the lens and the car interior normalising.

The rear camera does not suffer any of these issues.

Last edited:
Feb 1 Average and Extremes
Average temperature 2.4°C
Average humidity 62%
Average dewpoint -4.1°C

Maximum temperature 4.9°C on day 01 at time 13:58
Minimum temperature -0.4°C on day 01 at time 00:00
Maximum humidity 73% on day 01 at time 08:26
Minimum humidity 56% on day 01 at time 14:14

Above is the historical data for my area I live. This morning it was 1°C and the car has a light covering of ice on the window.

focus can shift with temperature, typically more of an issue when hot but it may be cold enough for it to be an issue, ice on the window would transfer the cold to the camera pretty effectively

Hmm, I never thought about the cold temp would effect on the focus. Thanks for reminding.
I got average temperature around -11°C in the morning, using custom 1.5 FW, 15Mbps front 4Mbps Rear.
As you mentioned, it front camera really takes time to warming up for me. 30min before and after driving to work, the image quality tells different.
I manually tried to fix the lens focus by turning it clockwise/anti clockwise, but still not having enough time to get best result. I'll keep working on the focus issue this weekend.

I wonder if BV 650 uses plastic or alloy lens mount ?

I had no end of issues with plastic mounts on the DOD LS460W and Dome G90 drifting focus.

I can understand metal mounts are harder to get hold of but it seems nuts more people don't use them in mid to higher end products.

Supply and demand would make them easier to come by and cheaper as well!

At least the new Street Guardian with IMX is a metal base :)

We had a lot of trouble to find a suitable base actually, very limited as to what's available as the size is different to all the regular mounts

Yeah the only one I have here is an 18mm pitch unread of 20mm - might he the other way around actually but it's hidden at the bottom of a drawer at the min!

That's a bummer though about those being non standard - daft question but are the other SG cameras metal mounts?

It does sound like you do have to make the cameras much more robust for the Australian market - that heat really sorts the men from the boys out there!

Yeah the only one I have here is an 18mm pitch unread of 20mm - might he the other way around actually but it's hidden at the bottom of a drawer at the min!

That's a bummer though about those being non standard - daft question but are the other SG cameras metal mounts?

It does sound like you do have to make the cameras much more robust for the Australian market - that heat really sorts the men from the boys out there!

the Sony sensor is different to all the others, limited options at this stage, kind of a good thing though as there's not so much junk to have to filter through like there is for the more common sizes

we'll be using more of these types of mounts going forward, our weather is a torture test for components unfortunately

Many Korean high end dashcams I have opened, they use alloy lens mount. Another justification of higher price and better performance. I am still wondering if BV "cut the corners" ?

From what I've seen I've got to admit a stable BlackVue, with a metal lens holder and @alexsoll's custom firmware would match pretty much anything out there right now. Shame about the focus though!

A camera with the hardware sorted out by Jokiin, the software tweaked by Alex Soll and the Russian guys and distributed by Niko and Pier28 would be mega.

Take my money guys :D

The focus is adjusted at least 10 minutes after switching on.
Normal average operating mode of the camera 60-75 degrees Celsius

Back