Camera for cycling, preferably body cam

Not sure if you like wearing a ball cap, but a Mobius fit under the bill of a ball cap works very well. 3M Dual-lock tape makes a good mounting method, you can set the cam back a bit to aid stealth.

Phil

This thread came in a timely fashion as I am considering a body cam but for a different reason - walking. I have seen a fair bit of recklessness and in one case road rage directed at 10 year on a bike while walking the dogs with my wife. Back in the day when my employer had its offices open to employees and clients, I used to do a 15 minute walk between the two offices and there too have experienced some close calls. I practise defensive walking but given the rash of hit and runs, I want to be able record my trips on foot outside of my SUV and home. Given that my dog walks last no longer than one and half hours, I don't need long battery life. The only case where I can see myself needing more than three hours if I were to go on a vacation and be out of my hotel room around the clock like when I went to Ottawa or Britain last year.

I have tried my mobius for walking but the position of the lens on the body makes it impractical. I don't want any thing fancy and would settle for specs of my old mobius if I could get a suitable form factor. I can live without Wifi or GPS. If I were using a bike - I think Mobius has a helmet mount or a mount for a bicycle handle bar.

I would like something discreet and don't want something that looks like a police body cam. Given that my requirements are lower than @googlyEyes, I can opt for something less expensive though I am going to look at Boblovs stuff. What I am kind of leaning to "SHONIN Pen 1080P Full HD" which isn't that expensive at amazon.ca.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/B0826YNVT3
For $40 CDN more, I see Boblov has a camera a similar in form factor but slightly better battery
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/B07Y44W886

If there is one piece of advice (as my needs do differ to yours in general), I would say water and dust permeability and also impact resistance is a factor to consider. That is why I ended up ordering the Boblov F1. And I also didn't like the police looks of many body cams, that is why my choice narrowed down those two Boblovs (see above). Those look at least a bit civilian.

Not sure if you like wearing a ball cap, but a Mobius fit under the bill of a ball cap works very well. 3M Dual-lock tape makes a good mounting method, you can set the cam back a bit to aid stealth.

Phil

I have tried various types of velcro for my side cam and was unaware of Dual Lock until you pointed it out. I do have velcro on mobius right now as I fit to the rear side window on my Rav 4.
If you scroll down to post 124 of https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...-view-dashcam-for-your-car-doors.12675/page-7 you will see the arrangement I made in 2016. I since went to wider strands of velcro and reduced the bounce it had

20200614_081548.png

So I could fit it underneath of the bill. The hat I am most comfortable wearing has a black bill so the black coloured mobius with same colored mobius wouldn't be visible unless you are looking directly at myself from a few feet away.

Problem is
  1. I am not sure where I put the battery
  2. I stripped the screws and have electrical tape to hold it the mobius together. Therefore it may be a challenge switching
  3. I need another side cam as I only have one. The form factor some of the body cams may work for my rav
  4. Have to make a choice between another side cam or one on my belt buckle. I would like to have the conversation recorded if I get out of my car after an accident.
So I am going to get one of these Body cam's, just not one shaped like one the police would use. I am reading mixed reports on the ones I am looking at work with a battery pack.

Edit: I once considered a key chain camera to record my walking activities, but I feel a "Belt Buckle" type may be more suitable now that they have become available
Edit#2. Don't need a battery pack for walking but if used a side cam.

Last edited:
I think the mobius on the brim of a cap are a okay solution, though of course you will not have that super steady floating camera, any chance of that within the same envelope and you probably have to look at the gitup F1 that do have some degree of EIS

And a nice thing about the F1 is it has high resolution and at 60 fps.

I just bought this DUAL helmet cam and can highly recommend it : https://techalogic.co.uk/
Use it on my bicycle helmet and motorcycle helmet
An interesting solution for the camera on the helmet.
Techalogic DC1.jpg
a little overview here:

Sensor: SONY IMX307
Aperture: F/1.8
Lens Angle: Front 140/Rear 140
Video: MP4 H.264
Resolution: Dual FHD 1920 x 1080P 30fps
Battery: 1600mAh 2 hours 30 mins at full charge
Size/weight: 110 x 40 x 33min/104g
Memory card: TF card Max. 128GB
Wi-Fi: Built in
Mic: Built in
Wireless Controller: Take photo/lock video file
PS: This is certainly not a body camera, but if there is a shoulder mount, then the image stabilization should be better

Mobius? Fitted onto the handle bar using that strap type attached mount especially for handle bars etc, may need a decent power bank to power it up but the camera & mount assortment is endless as it fits into go pro mounts

Back