camera for disabled wheelchair people

John Sakschek

Reaction score
Country
United States
My daughter Franki (14) often performs at senior care and rehabilitation centers playing piano and singing. Very often there are people in wheelchairs who are lovingly brought to attend her performances but, for various reasons, they cannot raise their heads to see her. I watch them and they are NOT sleeping--rather being entertained by her music and the emotions of the people that they can see at their sides. I would like to do an inexpensive experiment using a dash camera. I would like to set the camera pointing at Franki, and have an app on several of my (iOS and Android) devices so they are tuned into the live show using the camera's WIFI signal. I would share my devices and set my tablets on their laps so they can watch Franki clearly. I do not own a camera and it is hard for me to research dash cameras to determine if this is possible? If you are reading this, can you weigh in on a) Can you recommend a camera that emits its own WIFI? b) Does the app allow viewing of "live" video with no on-screen information? c) Can unlimited devices be used to view her "live" performance? -- I think that's all I want to know but you might also have suggestions or ideas that can help us. My goal is to first prove that this works, and then make a larger investment of a kit of devices that Franki can take with her and share with these kind people. See Franki here: http://frankijo.com

Attachments

• Franki at Omro Care Center.jpg
    Franki at Omro Care Center.jpg
    700.3 KB · Views: 27
There is normally a delay ( 1 second ) on the "live" wifi signal of action and dashcams with wifi.

What might be better and a little more problematic to use / set up would be a cabled webcam tied with its USB cable to a laptop or tablet, that should have little if any lag.
I am thinking camera on a stick you can easy Velcro or something to a wheelchair, so the elderly can sit and enjoy the footage on the tablet / laptop and i think 2 cam share one device is its not a too small screen.

You might also be able to use a regular SD camera and a wifi signal transmitter like used in FPV flying of RC quadcopters or planes, this will have very little delay - the camera is pretty cheap and i assume the wifi signal could be recived my multipel recivers connected to little 7" LCD screens.

But most of the little 7" LCD screens dont have build in batteries or receiver, just a AV in socket into witch you then plug the AV out from the receiver so you would have to design some sort of setup.

Thanks for caring about the elderly, sadly this seem to be something thats fading from society's around the world.

lovely gesture by your daughter, not aware of any dashcam that would work for this, even ones that can stream would be limited to streaming to a single device

perhaps a sport cam could support more than one device but not familiar with any that offer this

There is the cameras ( action ) that can live steam to youtube and similar services where multiple people can then tune in on whatever devise with internet access, but this is such a long detour for the signal so the image on the screens would be a lot out of sync with what the people hear.

And as Rick above say the cameras that do have wifi they can only connect to 1 devise, thats not the case with WIFI steams like i mentioned above people use to control a RC plane or whatever from a great distance, this is due to the signal being transmitted is just a analog signal, so any amount of receivers can tune into such a camera/transmitter just like old fashioned airwave TV.

The smallest RC transmitters 2.4 GHZ and < 100 mw transmit power is not that expensive, and the same with the receivers.

You might be able to line the old people in wheelchairs up on a line so they could watch a TV on floor level, that way i think 4-5 could keep up with one 32" LCD screen.
If you do it that way you done even need transmitters as you could just wire the camera strait to the AV in on the TV screen.

If you do it with just a camera and a TV screen down low where the people can see it, you can also use any old camcorder ( VHS - DV - HI8 ) with a AV out, and you can put that on a tripod and zoom in to frame your daughter real nice.
You could also use a analog CCTV camera as they have a regular AV out ready to plug into a TV.
Some box CCTV cameras even have buttons on the back end where you can set zoom and such by pressing some buttons there.

Last edited:
My Blackvue 650gw would work.. sort of.. but! Watching "Live Vue" on my tablet is not "that" detailed and is certainly less than what the video is while recording. The image lags a bit.. you notice it while watching people walk as the steps are not quite in sync with the image. There is no "zoom" so at any distance you only get a small image and vision is frequently an issue with your clientele. And.. you would have to provide a 12v power supply.
I think for this application there must be far better choices than what a dash cam can offer.. But hats off to you for trying to help the disabled / seniors appreciate your talent shows.

There is the cameras ( action ) that can live steam to youtube and similar services where multiple people can then tune in on whatever devise with internet access, but this is such a long detour for the signal so the image on the screens would be a lot out of sync with what the people hear.

And as Rick above say the cameras that do have wifi they can only connect to 1 devise, thats not the case with WIFI steams like i mentioned above people use to control a RC plane or whatever from a great distance, this is due to the signal being transmitted is just a analog signal, so any amount of receivers can tune into such a camera/transmitter just like old fashioned airwave TV.

The smallest RC transmitters 2.4 GHZ and < 100 mw transmit power is not that expensive, and the same with the receivers.

You might be able to line the old people in wheelchairs up on a line so they could watch a TV on floor level, that way i think 4-5 could keep up with one 32" LCD screen.
If you do it that way you done even need transmitters as you could just wire the camera strait to the AV in on the TV screen.

If you do it with just a camera and a TV screen down low where the people can see it, you can also use any old camcorder ( VHS - DV - HI8 ) with a AV out, and you can put that on a tripod and zoom in to frame your daughter real nice.
You could also use a analog CCTV camera as they have a regular AV out ready to plug into a TV.
Some box CCTV cameras even have buttons on the back end where you can set zoom and such by pressing some buttons there.

I like your thinking about RC. I have a drone with an awesome camera but it records to a card. I don't have experience with xmt to a viewing receiver. I'll look to see if I can learn of where to purchase replacement components for a drone like you describe. Thanks for multiple ideas, but I think this one is the best.

Really, you're viewing from it without using a wireless router? Which model? I just watched a YouTube video saying that you need a wireless router.?

Really, you're viewing from it without using a wireless router? Which model? I just watched a YouTube video saying that you need a wireless router.?
Well, i have wifi router so i haven't really done it by myself, let me try things today and i will get back to this later is it possible or not.

Here already. I was telling half thruth, camera need some kind of router but it will work if you set up your phone as wifi hot spot, i tested it with android moto g and it works.
If you set up wifi hot spot in phone then you can connect to camera with other android or i company tablets/phones using ap "My IPC Viewer", but as Kamkar said there might be a lag so singing will go out of sync time to time. Sadly traffic will go via internet, not locally from camera to phone as i was wrongly thinking, it worked just fine with one viewer but i cant say what will happen if you connect like 5 viewers to this system.
I have Foscam C1 but i think this will work with all new models using EzLink, C1 that i have has very wide angle so it will show hole room since i am using it to monitor my dog activity.

Attachments

• pic.png
    pic.png
    231.5 KB · Views: 2
Hi, awesome testing. Thank you for your contribution to this. I honestly thought that this was going to be simple. My first experiment was with a baby monitor. The receiver is a tablet and chargeable. The patient has dropped head syndrome and cried hugging her daughter when she was able to see forward. --That's how I know that this will be worth our energy.

I lost you starting with "Sadly...". Please explain what you are saying about "via internet".
Thanks again!

Hi, awesome testing. Thank you for your contribution to this. I honestly thought that this was going to be simple. My first experiment was with a baby monitor. The receiver is a tablet and chargeable. The patient has dropped head syndrome and cried hugging her daughter when she was able to see forward. --That's how I know that this will be worth our energy.

I lost you starting with "Sadly...". Please explain what you are saying about "via internet".
Thanks again!
These network cameras can work locally in your wifi network OR you can watch same video from anywhere if you phone have internet connection.
Now i suspect (not quite sure though) that this setup was working using internet eg. video feed came through phone internet connection instead of local wifi feed.
I understand wifi/dsl connection ok but this phone hotspot is very tricky to figure out where and how traffic is going in this situation;)
Actually i have to make one more test ( for my peace of mind) where i use hot spot phone one WITHOUT internet connection.
All be back again soon:)

Well that was easy, i cannot use android phone as wifi hotspot if phone does not have internet.
I have two samsung phones and both say "cannot create hotspot because there is no internet in phone":(

Hmmm... in your previous test, it seems the only network the camera could be using would be the hotspot from your phone.? Is that correct? Do you set the camera to use a specific access point?

Hmmm... in your previous test, it seems the only network the camera could be using would be the hotspot from your phone.? Is that correct? Do you set the camera to use a specific access point?
My setup was like this.
1. Power camera fresh, push reset if camera is old/used.
2. I took a phone A) with 3G and from wifi network settings i started wifi hotspot, there you give phone wifi SSID and password.
3. Take phone B) for viewing only, install "my ipc viewer", open program and create new camera just by reading QR code from the backside of camera (every ezlink camera has that code), soon program will find your SSID that you created and ask password, now you can see camera feed in phone B). Phone A) is just sitting there and doing what it does.

After serious thinking i'm quite sure that this above start setup is working only locally because if i want to see my camera outside my wifi network i have to switch wifi option off from my ipc viewer program, and then video feed start to lag 2 seconds of more.

Attachments

• wifi.jpg
    wifi.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 3
That is too weird to me. I get a headache thinking about how the camera and phone initially link up. --How does the app tell the camera what network to communicate on if the camera hasn't yet used the password. --Seems like the camera would have to be using your home WiFi for the phone to talk to it initially (telling the camera to use the hotspot w/SSID & PW)....? I wonder if your experiment would still work if you turned off your home WiFi. Weird, but very interesting.

You right, i get headache with this too, home network is much easyer to understand because you can follow where and when traffic is going.

Back