Camera for Rear of Car (Worth Getting?)

EvilScotsman12

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

New to the forum and wondering if I can get some help. I've already got a DDPai M6 camera mount to the front windscreen of my Astra K 1.6T and was wondering if it would be worthwhile getting another camera to fit to the rear windscreen. Been watching some dashcam footage videos on Youtube recently and noticed that some people have been caught out when they've received a rear end shunt. As I've always known it, the person that does the rear-end shunting should be automatically to blame but I've sometimes seen it as being the opposite due to circumstances being hard to make out. What do you guys think?

Also, if I go ahead with getting another camera, any recommendations for a camera to go for? Was thinking of the DDPai Mini2 as I like the screenless design of the DDPai M6 and the panic button that comes with it. Good for snapping a picture of a numpty driver and saving the video for just in case.

Yes, by default the person who hits you in the back is at fault, as long as she doesn't drive off leaving no evidence of who she was.

The rear camera can also be useful to show the behaviour of the person behind before he hits you in the side, or maybe you drive into him because he overtakes and slams the brakes on.

If you don't want another DDPai, maybe a B1W, no remote panic button but the g-sensor is pretty good if someone hits you, and the App works well.

For driving, I feel rear camera is of personal preference. I run one myself and will be installing side view as well. For someone hitting the back of your car, you really only need to prove what all happened in front of you for you to stop. But if you are backing up, like out of a parking space, a rear camera can prove who is at fault there.

For parking mode, the more cameras the better. Things happen all around the car, mainly to the sides in a parking space at the grocery store. A rear camera tends to catch the person either pulling in or out of the space next to you. That's why I drive the Jeep to go shopping and use the car for most everything else.

The rear camera can also be useful to show the behaviour of the person behind before he hits you in the side, or maybe you drive into him because he overtakes and slams the brakes on.
You can see one person did the overtake and slam the brakes in one of my accidents. I don't have rear view coverage in this one.
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/intentional-accident.34851/

I'll be posting another one of my accidents to youtube in a few minutes. This one does have rear view coverage.

Ah okay, think I might get a rear camera then when the budget allows it. Watching quite a number of videos on Youtube, you can see the plonkers who get annoyed at people not going as fast as they want and doing the old brake test stunt on them. Just need a bit of oil or diesel on the road and it all goes to pot. Kinda wish you could still get the proper bullbars you used to get, would mean they could slam the brakes on you and you'd give them a nice scrape up the back with no real damage to yours and then say to the Insurance Company it was them to fault.

For driving, I feel rear camera is of personal preference. I run one myself and will be installing side view as well. For someone hitting the back of your car, you really only need to prove what all happened in front of you for you to stop. But if you are backing up, like out of a parking space, a rear camera can prove who is at fault there.

For parking mode, the more cameras the better. Things happen all around the car, mainly to the sides in a parking space at the grocery store. A rear camera tends to catch the person either pulling in or out of the space next to you. That's why I drive the Jeep to go shopping and use the car for most everything else.

You can see one person did the overtake and slam the brakes in one of my accidents. I don't have rear view coverage in this one.
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/intentional-accident.34851/

I'll be posting another one of my accidents to youtube in a few minutes. This one does have rear view coverage.

Have had a look for 360 panoramic cameras but they are few and far between whilst also costing quite a bit. Would be great to have so if someone scraped the sit of the car you'd know they did it. Given I had to install a Dashcam after some teenage decided to jump on the bonnet of my car, could of tracked the little bugger from where be disappeared to.

Back