Camera freezing with rear cam

Richb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,
Looking for some suggestions for a problem I have with my camera.
I have a nextbase 422GW and wired rear cam. All was working fine but over the last month or so I've noticed the camera was turning on but then the touch screen was freezing. I can still see the image moving but none of the buttons work and the recording time sticks at 1 sec. Also the rear view camera stopped showing on the screen too.

I've read other threads with similar freezing issues but that seems to have been solved with the latest update. I've done the update but it hasn't helped (a note in the update though....followed the instructions and download zip file on the nextbase website, it says there is 2 files but in the zip there is only 1, so I just used the 1 file. Still got the update message on the camera so guessed it worked)
Anyway, the one thing I did find is that when I keep the rear camera unplugged and the power it up it works fine. If I then plug the rear in it crashes it so there must be a problem with the rear camera?
I'm using a nextbase memory card too. Tried using different settings but with no luck. Its connected to live (not permanently, only ignition)
Can anyone offer any suggestions?
Oh, bought and fitted by halfords around 6 months ago)

Thanks in advance.

I recently purchased the 422GW and the rear camera. Mine was constantly freezing and was unusable and I was running 19.1.

I saw a suggestion on downgrading firmware 16.4 and tried that and I havent had any freezing since.

You can find the download and guide here:

Note: It is an update guide but it's the same procedure to downgrade.

Having the same issue recently before upgrading to R19.1 Had the old firmware with rear camera. The 422gw red light and blue light is on but screen is dark (i set screen saver display off). It keeps freezing even after upgrading to R19.1 I already re-formatted the 128gb Sandisk Extreme memory card and removed and added back. Disconnected the rear camera. Same result. I haven't touched any of the configuration settings. So disappointing since I thought this would be a superior unit to the Garmin. I like the suction cup feature of this as well as the crisp recording. But now freezing after having the unit for one year.

I will go back to R16.4 firmware and try it out again. Will provide feedback.

What were the features updates with 19.1 from 16.4? What changed?

I am not sure. I downgraded to 16.4 and it froze again. Noticed that this happens when the temperature is hot and humid (over 30 degrees outside). The red light stays on and the screen is blank. For the cost of this unit + rear camera, Sandisk Extreme 128gb memory card and the screen filter, it sucks. I would need to hit the reset button to fix the issue every time. Why is this happening?

I will have to scan the Nextbase website as I am pretty sure there is a section next to the firmware updates which tells you what each update contains new since the last one.

In your case I would get in touch with Nextbase via their website chat (as they seemed to have disappeared off here now) and see what they say as that isn't acceptable to just crash like you're reporting.

Hi everyone,
Sorry to resurrect this thread, I have been searching for a while now and can't find the R16.4 firmware! I have emailed Nextbase and whilst awaiting their reply thought i would try a rollback.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Many thanks.

Hi everyone,
Sorry to resurrect this thread, I have been searching for a while now and can't find the R16.4 firmware! I have emailed Nextbase and whilst awaiting their reply thought i would try a rollback.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Many thanks.

Hello,

I'm afraid older firmware is not available directly on our website, only the latest version of the firmware. Can you let me know if you have a 422GW and what the issue is that you're having that requires a firmware rollback please?

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

Hello,

I'm afraid older firmware is not available directly on our website, only the latest version of the firmware. Can you let me know if you have a 422GW and what the issue is that you're having that requires a firmware rollback please?

Kind regards,
Millie
Hi Millie,
I have the 422GW exclusive bundle that I ordered last week. When installed the screen works and shows live footage but the red record button on the screen freezes at 1 second and the screen is unresponsive. I can't even enter the menu.
If I unplug the rear camera the unit works as it should. The bundle included everything from Nextbase. Front camera, rear camera, hard wire kit and 32gb memory card.
Many thanks.

Hi,

Freezing at 1 second is 99.9% of the time a loose rear camera connector. I would recommend the following:

1. Clean all of your rear camera connectors with an alcohol wipe to ensure that they're clean and free of debris.

2. Ensure the Rear Window Camera cable is fully inserted where the cables join- it should click when it's fully connected together. There's a connector about 30 cm from the rear camera, this connector can be a little deceiving and needs to be really tight.

Kind regards,
Millie

Hi,

Freezing at 1 second is 99.9% of the time a loose rear camera connector. I would recommend the following:

1. Clean all of your rear camera connectors with an alcohol wipe to ensure that they're clean and free of debris.

2. Ensure the Rear Window Camera cable is fully inserted where the cables join- it should click when it's fully connected together. There's a connector about 30 cm from the rear camera, this connector can be a little deceiving and needs to be really tight.

Kind regards,
Millie
That was it! Thank you so much for your help I hadn't pushed it right in so that it clicked!

Glad it's sorted! Let me know if you need any further help :)

Kind regards,
Millie

Back