Camera head as USB Webcam?

chewonit

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can the camera head be connected to a computer and used as a webcam? That would make refocusing a lot easier.

No it dont use regular USB protocol, it just use the USB form factor as its easy to work with, and you can get extension cables just about everywhere.
The camera and main unit have some form of transmit and recive chipset that handle the camera signal, but i assume the power connections GND + & - is the same as USB standarts.

Dont the main unit have HDMI output ?

I figured so. The unit doesn't have HDMI or any video out. So I'll just have to shoot and record different lens position and view it on the computer to see which works the best.

Opening the lens unit isn't that hard. One of the rings unscrew right off one end and the other 2/3 ring popped off using just finger nails. It's the glue that got me. Whoever put on the glue wanted to make sure no one can unseat the lens. The glue covered 3/4 of the whole parameter and was hard and not responding to heat from hair dryer. Took me almost half an hour to scrap it off.

I must say. From what I can see inside of the lens unit, it's really well made. Too bad it's got the focus problem.

Yeah the trial and error method is a little annoying, but if you remember to mark your starting point its not that bad.

What i normally do is record a fjew seconds, then turn lens a little, wave hand in front of lens and then record a little again, this i repeat 3-4-5 times.
Reviewing the footage on computer let me count my ajustments ( wave of hand in front of lens ) and then if i have gotten too far i can backtrack X notches till i am closer to the sweet spot.

You might have to do this a fjew times to make sure you are there, its mot much of lens turn between perfect and a total blur.

Back