Camera HTTP Server / App WiFi Unreachable

Cortexian

Reaction score
Country
Canada
So to start: I've always had problems with the WiFi on my DR900S. I've tried with a Pixel 3 and a Nexus 5X, neither of which can get a consistant WiFi direct connection to the camera using the official Blackvue app.

Because of this, I started looking into alternatives to get the footage off my camera. I run my own homelab and have prior experience working in the computer networking field, so I started searching around to see if there was a way to pull the footage off the camera using self-hosted software. Luckily I stumbled across the wonderful app by GlenNZ.

So I went to work configuring my home network, firewall, and VLANs to get a nice secure connection between my file server and the dashcam. In the process I learned that the HTTP server and general network stack on the dashcam is extremely unstable. Running a continuous ping to the camera results in one or two pings working when the camera first starts, and everything else gets a connection refused. So without the camera doing its part, the great app by GlenNZ won't be able to do its job and pull the footage off the camera. :(

Just to note: I'm 110% sure that my network configuration is fine. The dashcam has been assigned a static IP, the firewall rules are successfully routing traffic between the server running the app and the dashcam, and I'm able to successfully ping the camera occasionally when it's booting (proving that the network side is working fine).

I'm running firmware 1.012 (the latest I believe). Any dashcam experts around here happen to know if this is a common/known issue with the DR900S or Blackvue cameras in general? As far as I can tell, the entire network stack on my camera is just crap.

So to start: I've always had problems with the WiFi on my DR900S. I've tried with a Pixel 3 and a Nexus 5X, neither of which can get a consistant WiFi direct connection to the camera using the official Blackvue app.

Because of this, I started looking into alternatives to get the footage off my camera. I run my own homelab and have prior experience working in the computer networking field, so I started searching around to see if there was a way to pull the footage off the camera using self-hosted software. Luckily I stumbled across the wonderful app by GlenNZ.

So I went to work configuring my home network, firewall, and VLANs to get a nice secure connection between my file server and the dashcam. In the process I learned that the HTTP server and general network stack on the dashcam is extremely unstable. Running a continuous ping to the camera results in one or two pings working when the camera first starts, and everything else gets a connection refused. So without the camera doing its part, the great app by GlenNZ won't be able to do its job and pull the footage off the camera. :(

Just to note: I'm 110% sure that my network configuration is fine. The dashcam has been assigned a static IP, the firewall rules are successfully routing traffic between the server running the app and the dashcam, and I'm able to successfully ping the camera occasionally when it's booting (proving that the network side is working fine).

I'm running firmware 1.012 (the latest I believe). Any dashcam experts around here happen to know if this is a common/known issue with the DR900S or Blackvue cameras in general? As far as I can tell, the entire network stack on my camera is just crap.

Having the exact same problem. I even sent back my old camera as I thought it was defective but nope.... still having the same issues.

Try going back a version, to 1.011. I've seen comments that the later build is worse than the former.

I can tell you that the WiFi signal needs to be extra-strong, like four to five bars, to get any sort of reliable connection. With my 750, my office window is right next to the driveway, and I have a WiFi AP sitting on the window sill. So about 15ft between the AP and camera, and I get a solid connection. If I park one spot over, adding maybe 10ft to the distance, connection becomes spotty. And two spots over, forget about it.

Try going back a version, to 1.011. I've seen comments that the later build is worse than the former.

I can tell you that the WiFi signal needs to be extra-strong, like four to five bars, to get any sort of reliable connection. With my 750, my office window is right next to the driveway, and I have a WiFi AP sitting on the window sill. So about 15ft between the AP and camera, and I get a solid connection. If I park one spot over, adding maybe 10ft to the distance, connection becomes spotty. And two spots over, forget about it.
I've searched for a link to try this, but I can't find the v1.011 DR900 firmware anywhere. Is there a copy uploaded on the forum here?

Beautiful! Thank you, I'll test some older versions out tonight and see if they help!

Back