"Camera initialization failed" error, and what to do about it

DesertBike

Reaction score
Country
United States
I thought I'd start a fresh, clearly-marked thread about this issue, because it's been a pain in the butt for me and others. Thanks to those who contributed to the previous thread (https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/innovv-k2-has-anyone-ever-had-this-happen.39926/).

Until today, nearly every time I tried to use the Android Innovv K2 app, I got this error message. I could successfully connect the app to the K2 over WiFi, but would see the error when trying to access any other camera functions:

"WARNING!! Camera initialization failed, please insert two lenses again and restart the camera. Or click cancel to try to enter pure preview mode!"

The only choices given were "OK" and "Close." Either way, I could not really do anything with the app.

Speaking to Innovv tech support, I learned there there are several possible causes for this error. In rough order of probability they are:

1) A known problem with Android devices, where WiFi access is unreliable if mobile data is active. You can connect to the K2's WiFi, but not access any functions.

2) Defective SD card. This can cause the "Camera initialization failed..." error, or make the app freeze or crash.

3) Weak motorcycle battery, or motorcycle charging system problem. If power supply to the K2 goes below 12.4V, the system will start shutting down, beginning with the WiFi device.

4) Kinked camera cable/disconnected camera.

5) Defective DVR.

The fix that worked for me was to deactivate mobile data on my phone, while accessing the K2's WiFi. An easy way to do that is to put the phone in "Airplane" mode, then turn on only WiFi.

I did that, and successfully accessed K2 functions through the app on 3 out of 3 tries. That's the best success rate I've had yet.

I am not sure whether having Bluetooth turned on also causes a problem. Might experiment with that later.

I also experienced problem #2. I had a Samsung Pro Endurance 128 GB card that slowly died one afternoon, though it was barely-used. The K2 behaved just as described. While I shop for a replacement, I am using a 32 GB SanDisk "High Endurance" SD card.

I got great support from OCD Tronic/Innovv US, both in this forum and over the phone. Thanks, guys!

Notes:

-this error seems to be specific to the Android version of the K2 app. Innovv support stated it is a known Android problem, for which they are still trying to find a workaround/fix. Different Android phones have slightly different implementations (a Samsung vs. a Motorola vs. an LG etc.), so the issue may happen on one Android phone but not another.

---that isn't surprising, given a similar experience with my Viofo A129. The Android app usually will not even connect to the A129's WiFi unless I turn off mobile data.

-Support also stated that the K2 seems to work a bit better with a U3-class (minimum 30 MByte/s write speed) SD card, although theoretically it shouldn't require one. Usually you only NEED a U3 card to record 4K video, i.e. >80 Mbit/s). So-called "High Endurance" SD cards, specifically marketed as suitable for dashcams and whose warranties cover dashcam use, are seemingly always U1 cards (minimum 10 MByte/s write speed). I might try a U3 card if the "Airplane Mode/mobile data off" fix doesn't work consistently.

-Another reason you can get the error is that the DVR has detected battery voltage below cutoff threshhold. The cutoff is 12.4V. If the DVR senses less than that it starts shutting down, starting with the WiFi device. That's what I meant with regard to motorcycle battery or charging system problems.

The fix that worked for me was to deactivate mobile data on my phone, while accessing the K2's WiFi. An easy way to do that is to put the phone in "Airplane" mode, then turn on only WiFi.
this issue is most common with Samsung phones, what phone do you have?

Motorola x4.

The Viofo app does some kind of weird VPN thing to try to work around the problem. Doesn't work 100%, so I have the habit of always turning off mobile data before trying to access my A129 via the app.

That's not a big deal. I generally don't need mobile data to work while I'm using the app.

BTW, I did some experiments and it looks like having Bluetooth on is no problem. Only mobile data connection causes trouble. I guess it's something to do with the phone trying to route IP traffic incorrectly.

My x4 is the Android One edition. Android 9.

ok, I have Motorola G7+ with Android 9, and Nokia 7+ which is Android One edition Android 9 also and haven't had connection issues with our app (we did previously) so it's certainly possible to support your handset, Samsung are generally the problem handsets, their bloatware sucks

Putting my Cubot MAX 2 phone into airplane mode, then turning on WiFi worked. Thank you.

Now all I have to do is find out why my videos have started reporting the speed as always 0 MPH.

Back