Camera Installation Positioning

SWoMP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to try and find the best position from my front camera and it is made complicated by a large interior mirror and a large area of "third visor frits" (only just found out that's what they are called!).

So I plan on putting a few pieces of blu-tack on the back of the mount and test it using the local accessory power supply and the A129 screen. When I find the sweet spot I intend to mark one each of the horizontal and vertical boundaries with a short piece of masking tape and then I can mount it using the adhesive back.

My question is: Is there a smarter or easier way of doing this?

The rear camera should be easier to do as no interior mirror but there are a lot of inbuilt elements both for the screen heating and the DAB radio (two seperate circuits obviously)....

Thanks in anticipation...

In my car i use the fritted area to align the camera, i do while the camera is powered and if possible connected to a phone so i have a larger picture to look at.
Most often i have a bit of the bottom A pillars in frame on the center installed camera, but any offset ones will of course be biased to that side ( some times i have 3-4-5 cameras on the windscreen )

The main thing is to remember to have the lens aligned in the up / down direction too, and remember to have clearance for the camera to be able to slide off its mount, something i almost burned my finters on installing the first wedge shape camera as that model should slide up to get off the mount, and i almost put it too high in the frit area to have as little of the camera visible as possible.

Installing the rear camera as your car have DAB i would suggest a test run of the cable along the route you intend to install, if you route the wire "bad" this can have a effect on the DAB radio, so best to string / tape whatever temporary the wire to see if any side are better than the other side for routing.
Alternative if your car are not super large, you might even have enough wire to route the wire along the bottom of the car instead of the more normal up near the roof.

Thanks for that - very useful. Forgot about the app so now have it on my phone ready.
As a matter of interest, if I use the wired USB connection to my laptop, can I see a live image or would I need an app to do more than access files on the SD card?
Rear camera and DAB information really useful too. Thanks.

Thanks for that - very useful. Forgot about the app so now have it on my phone ready.
As a matter of interest, if I use the wired USB connection to my laptop, can I see a live image or would I need an app to do more than access files on the SD card?
You can connect to your cam via laptop's Wifi and then use IP address of the camera + port 554 to live view the stream via any RTSP compatible software (for example VLC => rtsp://192.168.1.254:554)

There should be available also other things, for instance basic webinterface via internet browser, FTP, etc. No app necessary.

Last edited:
More useful info. Thanks.

I just use the live view through phone to see what is the best area to mount.

This is one of the primary features of the app. Follow the onscreen directions to get a live video feed

My front cam I have slightly aligned to the right of center. Due to my steep windshield, dash configuration I found the best picture to be not mounted directly on center of windshield.

The rear cam I mounted to my third brake light. Then positioned the up down movement to view between the defrost lines.

Back