Camera issues - is it battery related?

my53rdchoice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a NB 412GW bought from Maplin around 10 months ago.
Sandisk 32gb class 10 memory card bought from a branded physical shop (curry's etc)
It's hard wired into the vehicle and powered from a separate leisure battery so permanently on (battery is charged and no issues as it does other stuff)
Camera is not moved, touched or taken for months on end
Not had any problems at all till I updated the BIOS on Tuesday.

The issue I have is that at some point (after hours+) the cam stops recording
This has the double issue in that this activates the screen, disables the screen saver and then the camera is highly visible due to it's light which makes it a serious theft risk
(why the screen saver only kicks in when recording is just bizarre)
I can just start the recording the screen saver kicks in and then it's fine again for a bit

The settings are
1440P
2 mins vid
med g sensor
screen saver on
Auto Power Off
NBDVR412GWA-R12.4

as far as I know these are the settings I have used from day 1

Oddly, the camera is showing full battery but the second I pull the hard cable it turns off

Has the battery failed? Is this causing the issue?
Is it the BIOS? Is that coincidence?

Any other ideas why this is

As it stands it's under 12 month warranty for a few more weeks so will be binned if not resolved (2nd time I've had to activate the warrenty as the windscreen mount snapped internally after 4 months)

ta

quick update

I appreciate that the memory card is not ideal for HD recording though it's work fine for ages

I have just swapped it for a 32gig Sandisk U3 card again physically bought from a branded shop

ta

hi, yes. 24/7. As it's hardwired to a battery outside the MPV's engine there are no power concerns

running a camera with an internal battery 24/7 for 10 months is a mighty effort, no wonder the internal battery is dead, might as well talk to your place of purchase about warranty, if you keep running the replacement like that though you can expect the same to happen again, I'd suggest replacing the memory card as a precautionary measure also, it has done a lot of work already and they do wear out, buy a new one and keep that as a spare

just checked it, 2 hours so far and not stopped. Will be interesting to see if the BIOS update did something which meant it became unhappy with memory card as I had the same thing happen with my go pro in that it just stopped liking the class 10 card that had been in for months and I had to get a U3 card.

I'm narked that the battery on it seems to be fubar'd after 10 months as I suspect a lot of people use the hard wire cable kit.

shouldn't be an issue on a branded card after 7000 hours and 200000 write cycles

10 months of 24/7 use is hard on the card, how many overwrites will depend on card size, replacing the card is a precautionary thing, it will fail at some point, you just won't know when, people generally find out a card has failed after the fact when they want to retrieve some footage so it's wise to base replacement time on usage patterns, replacing the card before it fails was just a suggestion based on experience, if you want to keep using the card you can do that

hardwiring a camera doesn't automatically equate to running it 24/7, sure some people will do that and they'll kill their batteries like you have, that's a calculated risk on Nextbase's behalf that they'll have to replace some cameras, the overwhelming majority don't get this kind of usage so it's not a huge issue

I have a thread here linking to the 9.5 firmware. Try rolling back to eliminate the update.

Any update > 9.5 writes 2 files, Hi and Lo. Just a thought.

Best of luck with Maplins, 2 near me have shut.

Is that an older or newer firmware?

I also see no options to roll back updates and NB don't advertise there old firmwares

it's still recording this morning, so the change/upgraded memory card seems to have fixed it.
So after payday it looks like it's time to buy a replacement u3 card

Still interested in the battery and whether other people have them on constantly, I mean why wouldn't you if you could?

You can install any version of correct model firmware. I went back to 9.5 because of the dual files.

I think some make heavy use of the parking mode feature. Any movement and it fires up to record what happened or who is nearby.

Hello @my53rdchoice

Sorry to read you have experienced this, how long does it last if you turn the camera on with no power connected?

When you have noticed it stopping recording, is there any message on the screen?

hi, it stays on for like 1/2 a second at best

I have not seen it stop so not seen any error message
it looks just like someone stopped it recording

Seems to be running fine on the current setup with the higher grade memory card

Turned parking mode back on as I suspect it's draining the external battery if recording 24/7 especially when parked and the external battery isn't on charge?
I do wonder what the draw on this thing is when recording especially given that the internal battery is just dead weight

If you have parking mode on it will only draw 1.2mA from the battery whilst in standby mode awaiting an impact.

Back