Camera looking through factory tint

Airborne

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
A129
Should I be concerned with a rear camera not filming correctly through factory tinted window? I am still in favor of the 119v3 or the A129 duel. There is a couple of package deals with everything to wire ties, fuses etc. when I see this offered I think of puffed smoke and would want to buy from a good seller instead of a deal not worth looking for the extra discount. This was pointed out to me and great advice by Sawmaster.. I will be buying through Amazon as I am a prim even member and I like their return policy if I get a dud.
If this was covered please forgive me, I put the question through the search option and it did not answer my question. But wording is important using the search option.

Normally there is no problem at all with factory tint.
Some tints can cause problems if using a CPL, but factory tints are normally OK.
Reduced light levels are never good for image quality, but factory legal tints should be well within what most current cameras can deal with.

You can also often compensate some tweaking the EV value on the camera.

I had my A129 Duo rear camera looking through Viofo's circular polarizer filter and factory tinted rear window. I noticed that under artifical lighting conditions, like in a parking hall, there was significant amount of noise in the picture. The same applies probably to all darker-than-daylight conditions in general. Removing circ pol filter cleared most of the noise but not all of it. Rear camera is set to +0.6 EV correction because of the tint.

Some day I might try +0.3 EV correction with the circ pol filter attached and see if the image brightness and noise levels remain in acceptable range.

Last edited:
If I purchase this camera, can I just use a existing plug in the truck,until I get my head right. I can plug and unplug it till I get the ha g of everything. Being a disabled Vet my hands no longer work the way I like, so I must pay people to do my work now,tears me apart when this happens but such is life

Providing any accessory sockets are not live all the time you can do that just fine for recording when driving.
Today most cameras use 5V provided from a mini or micro USB plug into the camera, some then have the 12 - 5 V conversion going on in the cigarette lighter plug itself, other have a 12 - 5 converter in a small rectangular box ) a few feet up the wire from the lighter plug, many brands do this now cuz if you want to hard wire,,,, and you just to have wires out of sight and a free lighter socket, then you can cut off the cigarette lighter plug, and wire the two wires ( red + and black - ) into your car using a piggy back fuse adapter for the + 12 V and a ground connection under the dash for the -12 V wire.

I am not quite sure what viofo do with their cameras, so better ask seller to be sure.

Yes only when I am driving I will have the cameras going.... For now...lol

Back