camera losing settings..

egonvdv

Reaction score
Country
France
Dash Cam
TWO Thinkware's U10002CH (rear cams used as side cams)
sometimes the camera just goes back to factory default and i can't figure out why
once it happened after a format, not normal, but ok; i sort of "understood".
but a few times now it did it by itself
wouldn't be a huge deal, except factory setting has park mode off...
any idea what it could be ...?

Do you know if it's actually wiping out the settings file on the SD card (back to defaults) or simply ignoring it?

I've only played with 1.0.0.16, but it's low-level boot mounting of the SD is pretty pickey. Any sign of trouble, and it swaps the config file with defaults or cries for format. Keeping the settings directory clean fixed an issue I had during testing (-1 for my mac which likes to pollute every folder it touches, -1 for me allowing spaces in extraneous file/directory names).

With that in mind, does a format fix the issue?

Best of luck!

Do you know if it's actually wiping out the settings file on the SD card (back to defaults) or simply ignoring it?

Based on the timestamp, looks like it was clobbering the setup.cfg. I didn't spend a lot of time troubleshooting, I just wanted the problem to go away.

I don't whether this is a good idea, but here's what I did
  1. With the SD card in your PC, use the PC Viewer to edit the settings
  2. In the SETTING folder, rename default.cfg to something like default.cfg_ or defaut.bak - probably not necessary, but it's a tiny file and I like to have a backup. (Changing the file extension means the camera probably won't try to read it.)
  3. Copy setup.cfg to default.cfg
I did this a few months ago and have not seen the problem since.

Edit:

I just read another thread on memory cards, in hindsight that might be the root cause.

Last edited:
So, my dash cam took a sh**. Did this losing settings 2 or 3 times in a few weeks time. And today it can’t even finish a sentence when is trying to tell me to connect to its wifi. Tried 2 different Thinkware cards, formatted on a laptop. Reseted cam to factory and nothing. Good I bought the extended warranty. The cam is only 15 months old.

So, my dash cam took a sh**. Did this losing settings 2 or 3 times in a few weeks time. And today it can’t even finish a sentence when is trying to tell me to connect to its wifi. Tried 2 different Thinkware cards, formatted on a laptop. Reseted cam to factory and nothing. Good I bought the extended warranty. The cam is only 15 months old.
I had that happen when I had an error on the SD card.
Card swap fixed it, I did lose my settings.
Wife's camera had a card error last week, did not lose her settings when I replaced the card.

Back