Camera not consistent in recordings

Teocali

Reaction score
Country
Israel
Hi,

My Mobius camera functioned well for over a year until a couple of weeks ago where I noticed it is not recording at all times. In fact, it is not recording most of the time, despite being connected to power when the engine is on. I know for sure the LED shows as if recording is on, but nothing really happens. The camera does not overheat (one aircon vent outlet cools it at all times), SD cards formatted and replaced, I installed every single firmware available for Mobius - no luck.

Any idea what to do next, or should I simply get a new camera?

Seems that you have done everything, only thing left that i can see is battery, is it lithium battery or capacitor version?
If you don't have spare battery i'm not quite sure could you test it without battery, difficult to do otherwise.

This might be one option if you want to spent minimum amount of money, but of course you must buy a battery or capacitor too.

Thanks Sabe.
The battery seems to be OK, runs the camera - at least the LED lights up. However, still inconsistent - instead of steady sequence of 5 minute clips, it's random - sometimes 5 minutes or 2 or 4 or a few seconds etc. etc. - no logical pattern. I guess i need to replace the board or the entire unit.

Hi,

My Mobius camera functioned well for over a year until a couple of weeks ago where I noticed it is not recording at all times. In fact, it is not recording most of the time, despite being connected to power when the engine is on. I know for sure the LED shows as if recording is on, but nothing really happens. The camera does not overheat (one aircon vent outlet cools it at all times), SD cards formatted and replaced, I installed every single firmware available for Mobius - no luck.

Any idea what to do next, or should I simply get a new camera?

It might be that the SD card is acting up, perhaps try a different one to see if it makes any difference.

Just to be sure, check that Motion Detection is set to Off. Maybe it turned ON somehow during firmware upgrading.

Sum up - no luck.
  • Firmware - downgraded, upgraded...
  • SD card - formatted, replaced...
  • Overheat - nope...
  • Motion detection - Off...
No go... intermittent length of clips - or zero recording, despite LED confirming record in progress = new circuit board, or a new camera is on the shopping list.

Thanks all for your replies!

I think so, as the red LED is ON.
The camera gone completely mad - this is what I had today: started to drive at 12:12. All was fine until 12:33... At 12:34 the recording was only 1 second, than nothing until 12:57 - another 1 second recorded. Parked there.
Got back to the car at 14:45, nothing was recorded though LED was on - got to the house at 15:03, just before turning the engine off the camera took a 1 second recording... ?!?

I would NEVER suggest anything like this, but since your mobius is gone already i was thinking have you ever heard motherboard reflow in an oven?
Seems that somebody has fixed his mobius like that, i don't want to give any details of procedure because you can find it from google, lots of information available, basically you remove any removable parts from motherboard and put it in regular home oven in certain temperature and time.
Here is link where somebody talks about it, read it and try if you think it's good idea, there was temperature and time mentioned, looks like you have nothing to loose.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1904559&page=866

Edit: One thing though, as of now you can use your mobius as a webcam, but if you do reflow all bets are off.

Last edited:
I would NEVER suggest anything like this, but since your mobius is gone already i was thinking have you ever heard motherboard reflow in an oven?
Seems that somebody has fixed his mobius like that, i don't want to give any details of procedure because you can find it from google, lots of information available, basically you remove any removable parts from motherboard and put it in regular home oven in certain temperature at certain time.
Here is link where somebody talks about it, read it and try if you think it's good idea, there was temperature and time mentioned, looks like you have nothing to loose.

Edit: One thing though, as of now you can use your mobius as a webcam, but if you do reflow all bets are off.

I've fixed two PS3s like this however you need to cover sensitive connectors or they might melt. You also have to have a very accurate temp gauge. What worked for me was to have my temp probe on/near the board, turn on the oven from cold, hit my disired temp, then kill the oven and SLOWLY open the door. I have slowly in caps because if you move / shake the board in any way you can make your problems MUCH worst.

I've fixed two PS3s like this however you need to cover sensitive connectors or they might melt. You also have to have a very accurate temp gauge. What worked for me was to have my temp probe on/near the board, turn on the oven from cold, hit my disired temp, then kill the oven and SLOWLY open the door. I have slowly in caps because if you move / shake the board in any way you can make your problems MUCH worst.
Yes, it's a risky business but many times it really works, i have done it twice, one gs5000 dvr successfully and one laptop unsuccessfully.

Seems that somebody has fixed his mobius like that, i don't want to give any details of procedure because you can find it from google, lots of information available, basically you remove any removable parts from motherboard and put it in regular home oven in certain temperature and time.

Thanks Sabe, I might try that recipe :)

Back