Camera randomly restarting

Prelude89

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Viofo A129 Duo
Hi All,

I have a SG9665GC V2 from 2015 that has started randomly restarting. These restarts are not frequent.

I updated the firmware to the current version, reset to defaults, and formatted the 128GB Samsung Evo card, which replaced the 64GB Samsung Evo card, thinking it might be the card. The old card formatted in the PC fine, and h2testw completed a write/read cycle without errors.

The old card initially seemed like it was bad, but changing USB ports on my PC showed all the video files.

It shows the camera recording fine until the restart, where there is the restart delay and it continues recording fine.

Nothing has changed since installing the camera apart from removing the card a handful of times to retrieve video or check the card was still functioning correctly.

Just wondering if there is anything I can try to fix this, or is it time to upgrade?

the camera will restart if recording is stopped due to a write error, if you've replaced the card that should be ok

power supply could be an issue, are you using the included power supply, and have you tried a different power supply?

Still using the original included power supply. We haven't tried a different power supply, as it's currently hard-wired into the car. I might have a power supply from another unit laying around, so could check to see if that fixes the issue.

I have a simple fuse-tap to cig socket, and plugged the supplied cable into that. No fancy power management module or anything.

So I pulled the new card today to have a look. We pulled the fuse tap out yesterday and cleaned it up. Checked after a couple of drives this morning, and no problems, however, and this seems really odd, it only seems to start happening travelling in one direction on one road.

The restarts seem to be getting more frequent, with the gaps ranging from ~20s to over a minute.

I did notice the GPS losing signal a few times, but the camera continued to record. In this case, the camera was not turned-off, and recorded GPS info fine, then stopped for several minutes, then started sending info again. Registrator showed-up this with a long grey line.

Newcastle. The road in question is the inner-city bypass travelling south bound.

I noticed it happening heading off the bypass going down the hill onto Hillsborough Rd, but yesterday it first happened a little way back, just after the junction with Carnley Ave. (Google maps location)

They did recently add a set of traffic lights at the round-a-bout to aid in south-bound backups during peak hour, and I had not noticed the restarts before-hand, but they may have been there. The restart chime is not very noticeable when driving in an old '98 Rav4. The GPS issue mentioned above started in Wallsend, so maybe not related.

No issues when travelling north on the same road.

coincidence maybe, don't think the road changes would be related, if there's an issue you can send it to us to sort out

We'll not be on that road again until next week. Will check the card after our 2 trips and see what the result is.

Back