Camera set up for overtaking: help needed.

lerrocco

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to take my RHD camper into LHD Europe and I want a camera to
use for overtaking. It will be mounted on the passenger side as I sit,
and give me a good view of the road ahead. The camera will give me a
live feed to a screen mounted on the dash in the middle of the van, or
wherever I can see it most easily.

I might also fit a rear facing camera for rear view and reversing,
feeding into the same dash mounted display with both views available at
the same time, either split screen or a smaller window within the main
screen. If I need it in an emergency I don’t want to be pressing
buttons.

I can install myself, but what kit do I need? Reliable but nothing
fancy, its an old van. I dont need the system to record, I just need the
camera feed. Essentially I want to create an overtaking camera, live feed is fine.

Just be aware that they are ILLEGAL in some EU countries, make sure you do your homework, I drove over 10 years in France, Germany, Belgium, Holland, UK every week in RHD transit, it really isn't much of an issue overtaking, esp as campers are high enough to see over car roofs most of the time, maybe you're worrying too much ?, I was in ALL these countries every week not a problem, just knackering!!

Thanks.
Yeah, for sure it's not usually a big deal driving 'on the wrong side'. I have driven LHD in the UK and RHD abroad for many years. Its actually easier sometimes as you can get close to the edge of the road as you can see it :)

I am now based in a rural area and there is a lot of slow moving traffic, especially some of the bigger tractors and trailers these days. Its not too bad on the main roads as you say, especially with a good sized van looking over cars. I wont be doing lots of long drives on dual carriageways but smaller ones on windy country lanes with slow moving and often large vehicles.

I will check the legal situation. I dont want to record anything, live feed is enough - it is just a driving aid. I did check the UK law and I should be ok to use it as a driving aid.

I am interested to know which cameras would serve my purpose, where to mount, what monitor etc? Ebay is a mine field, and I dont know what kit to use to buy something 'blind'. It just seemed to be an easy solution, though the idea was easy, I dont know anything about the tech.

Its not a big deal but its worth playing with the idea, if anyone has any gear recommendations that would be great :)

Last edited:
Do you have a rear reversing camera on your camper ?, if so an extra camera pointing out front screen on other side might be useable and you can get splitters to change camera input/view, if not these can be bought very cheaply these days from fasttech or deal extreme for around £25 all in

No, no cameras in the van. I dont own a smartphone or a dash or reversing cam, no sat-nav. It does have a radio :) I am not usually interested in such tech, hence my question for some guidance.

Confused.. you are going to use the image on the screen to determine when it is safe to pass instead of looking through the windshield? :nailbiting:

yes. I will be driving a right-hand drive van in a left had drive country. I will be effectively driving from the passenger side of the vehicle. To overtake a high sided slow moving vehicle I need to be almost fully in the oncoming lane to see around the vehicle to see if it is safe to overtake.
Its ok to overtake cars, as I can see over them. Its ok when i have a passenger as they can tell me whats coming. Its not ok when I drive alone and meet high sided tractor trailers. Its ok to sit and wait sometimes, but sometimes these trailers are also stationary in the lanes..
Hence, I need an overtaking camera.

Thank you for that descriptive explaination. I didn't fully understand the problem as I was reading this thread since I've never thought of that driving situation here in the USA, but now it makes perfect sense.

Back