Camera shows wrong date and time

Sugar Silva

Reaction score
Country
United States
So my cam is recording just fine. Working beautifully after about 2 years of ownership. My only issues are:

1) For the last few months, it has been logging videos under the wrong time. I don't see an option to set this manually unless I'm missing something? I do have it set to the correct time zone.

2) The location does not show when I view video in the app. The speed shows up just fine, and when I put the sd card in my laptop, I can see the location no prob. It's just when viewing through the app that it no longer shows me where on the map the video was taken from.

Help is appreciated

You can go to the Blackvue site and download a wee program called Timeset Was for the non GPS cameras Set it 5 mins in advance and stick camera in car and go for a drive and see if it comes right. Otherwise maybe the little button battery is dead and that is what retains the time. If you are really good at soldering it can be replaced but you have to take the camera apart to do it and its really fine work.

Have done 4 of them but too old and hands a bit shaky now

Only other thought is the GPS is stuffed

Mine had this issue when it was brand new.. I opened it up today and found one of the terminals of the RTC battery was not soldered on and when I soldered it on and tried it out, it still didn't work so I may end up having to replace the battery, I already ordered it. I don't know why it doesn't update the time when it acquires the GPS signal..

@Hillbilly Is the Timesetting Program only for non GPS BlackVue cams?
I was having some issues with the time in my DR750S, I played around with the desktop app settings for fixing up the time a couple times but it hasn't seemed to get the right time.
Have to double check my latest footage in case it has, if not I'll have to try this Time Setting program.

Update: After soldering the other end of the MS621FE FL11E RTC battery and using the time set program to update the time and letting the battery charge overnight, it seems to be showing correct time now even when my camera turned off... Turned it on today and it was showing the correct time of what it is currently.. From what it appears so far because the other terminal wasn't soldered on, the time on my cam was not updating and being stored, but after soldering it and allowing the RTC battery to charge, it seems to be retaining the date and time. But it is too early to tell..

I will test it out for the week to see if it actually saving the time and updating the time when it acquires a GPS signal as even when it was new for me, it never updated the time unless I used the timeset tool or did a hard reset..

I bought a new MS621FE FL11E battery just in case soldering the other connection isn't actually the problem (soldering it on it seems to have made it update the time and store it (it's only been 12 hours so I still need to test)).

If it actually turns out that the time and date was not updating due to one end of the battery not being soldered on, it would be a huge disappointment for such an expensive camera to lack such quality control to be missing soldered connections on crucial portions.

First time Ive heard of that in 6 years of playing with these cameras

First time Ive heard of that in 6 years of playing with these cameras
The battery not being soldered is a first, there has been people with random time setting issues though which is odd that something so basic comes up as often as it does

My 650S is connected via a multi-safer to avoid draining the vehicle battery. In cold weather, after the multi-safer has done its thing and turned off the camera, it appears the camera's battery itself dies after 12'ish hours. In many cases, when I restarted the vehicle, the camera fired back up, but with a totally bogus date/time. That by itself isn't a problem.
But what's more annoying is that when the camera gets a GPS fix again, it *doesn't* update the date/time. I've had it running for several days without the clock correcting itself, even though I had a good GPS lock. Doing a restart didn't help.
A quick fix was to connect in via WiFi, change the timezone in settings, let it reboot (which reformats the card for some reason), and then it'd magically resync. Or, sometimes after a couple of days, it'd just magically do it by itself.
I did report this anomaly to BV, got an initial response asking a couple of questions (and suggesting the battery was an issue), then nothing. The lack of resyncing to the GPS is a software flaw.

I read somewhere else when researching the issue that someone had one of the terminals not soldered on as well, it must be rare but it seems to have actually fixed the issue after I soldered it (so far from what I have noticed) as the time actually overwrites and updates after it gets a GPS signal.

I started getting incorrect time/date on my videos a few months ago. Replacing the battery wasn't too hard. Had the camera plugged into a power supply in the shop for a day to make sure it charged up. Ran it a few days in the Jeep and my time/date stamps were spot on. Then I noticed the rear camera was not working, so I unplugged it and plugged it back in, now the date/time is an hour and 15 minutes ahead.

Ouch, late for work.

Looks like my camera has more problems showing up. Some I have noticed even before replacing the battery. One is the g-sensor in normal recording is acting up, it's been triggering event recordings more and more often when just idling through a parking lot. Yesterday it never went into parking mode, just stayed in normal record and of course events triggered with no real events happening. Most frustrating thing is the rear camera, it randomly works. While watching the event file from when the jeep was parked, I can see the rear camera indicator flip back and forth saying OFF or HD.

My dr650gw had that issue since I purchased it. After about a year of dealing with it, they finally admit that it isn't a software issue and that it is a hardware issue that a replacement battery will temporarily fix. I changed the battery and it only worked for about a month. The 650s was actually released but fixed many of the issues that plagued the 650gw such as losing time, failing GPS, wifi and other things.

For it to completely fail, after slightly over 1 year is unacceptable and they said that it can't be fixed. I needed to purchase a new S model. Someway and somehow and not BlackVue's choice, I ended up with a 650s to completely repair my broken 650gw with parts that were "not available". This has been running for a few years now.

My 650GW started having troubles recently connecting to the GPS so I replaced the battery again and it worked fine and connected to the GPS but 48 hours later after I replaced the battery the camera has the solid blue light which may mean that it is dead, wonder if I broke something during replacing the battery but this camera is dead after 3 years..

I don't think I will buy a Blackvue again the reliability hasn't been there for me.

I forgot all about this post. Mine is sort of back to working normal, it's just that I no longer have a rear camera. With the rear camera removed, the main unit has been working like it should be. I feel my camera has already paid for itself in two accidents. I'll be keeping it as the main front camera and installing a different one to use as a rear camera sometime.

May I refresh this line to expose my problem?

I also have wrong Date+Time since some time ago. GPS is ok because my videos are perfectly situated on maps.
Date is always started (after re-install firm) at some old year date which I suppose to by the factory date. But then it does not pick up the GPS date anymore.
Could this be the cmos battery?

May I refresh this line to expose my problem?

I also have wrong Date+Time since some time ago. GPS is ok because my videos are perfectly situated on maps.
Date is always started (after re-install firm) at some old year date which I suppose to by the factory date. But then it does not pick up the GPS date anymore.
Could this be the cmos battery?

It does seem like the RTC battery may have failed. How old is your cam?

Phil

Hi, Thanks for your suggestion!
Yes, quite old (somewhere 2103) and I have already bought a battery on e bay.
Let's try that.
I have found that when connected, if I do a reset (7 secs. wifi button) the date will come back from gps. So; I hope with a new cmos battery, this will hold then......

Last edited:
I have had a dead clock battery in my camera for about 18 months now. I am just too much of a procrastinator to get it fixed. Once I get the camera to set itself to the correct time, it will maintain the time until the 24-hour timer runs out in the computer port power connector. Since I am normally using the car at least once every 24 hours, I don't have to go about resetting it very often.

Hi, Thanks for your suggestion!
Yes, quite old (somewhere 2103) and I have already bought a battery on e bay.
Let's try that.
I have found that when connected, if I do a reset (7 secs. wifi button) the date will come back from gps. So; I hope with a new cmos battery, this will hold then......

Update: I have now replaced the micro battery of the cam. Yes; it is soldered so I had to remember old times when I was an amateur radio man ;-)
I did this with several Youtube tutorials to find how to dismantle the cam without busting it.
Back to normal now and all perfect. Holds Date/Time and also changed setup values.

Also old radio man :) the only way to talk to the world in the old days, no internet, and going on a holiday far away was expensive. :)

Back