Camera stays on indefinitely with power cord

haus_mini0805

Reaction score
Country
United States
I hope I can explain this well enough.

I am using the power cable provided with this camera. My issue with this is that when my vehicle is powered off, my outlet is still providing power, so the camera just stays on recording. That's not how I want it to work because if I forget to unplug it, the cam will drain my vehicles battery.

So what does everyone else do here? My goal is that it powers on when vehicles starts and powers off when vehicle is off. I hoped that by getting this cam I could just plug it in and forget about it.

Get a stereo or alarm shop to rewire your lighter outlet to turn off when you turn off the key. It's a simple job involving one relay and a little bit of wire - about $5 worth of parts. If you're near Houston I can do it for you cheap.

Alternative is to add a hardwire kit (~$10-15) to an existing switched circuit in the car like power windows or sunroof, which has the added benefit of leaving your lighter socket free for other stuff like phone charger, GPS or whatever.

I am using the power cable provided with this camera. My issue with this is that when my vehicle is powered off, my outlet is still providing power, so the camera just stays on recording.

Many vehicles continue to provide power to the accessory socket for, say, 20 minutes after the ignition has been switched off. This may mislead owners into assuming that the socket is permanently powered.

If you have hours of clips recorded after the car was locked, then the accessory socket is permanently powered. But make sure of this before you waste time & money on a solution to a problem that may not exist.

Back