Camera that records for X minutes after car stops.

Malakym

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently have an old G1W that records on for a few minutes (using its battery) after the car has stopped.

I am trying to find a new/higher quality camera that does the same, though im struggling.

A lot of these parking modes seem to be constant recording (sometimes with low voltage cut out), motion detection or g sensor. Whereas I definitely want it to record regardless of external input.

I got myself an Orskey which had a hardwire kit with both full and part time power inputs but this doesn't do much other than allow it to do its motion detection when the car is off.

Any recommendations on cameras that may do this? Looking in the area of the Orskey S950 or Viofo A129 quality/price range. Rear camera input would be nice but not a deal breaker.

It's hard to find this feature in spec sheets as its likely lumped in with parking modes and not obvious.

Last edited:
I think Garmin's new lineup is doing this. Dashcams have to be connected to a constant power source.

I will look into it, hopefully its made clear somewhere.

I have had a few other ideas to explore, which would work with anything.
1) Run it through a USB power bank with a low capacity cell.
2) A delay relay timer (them little 555 based relay boards).

I purchased two Garmin mini 2s for the same thing. Sadly parking mode drains the battery too much and the cameras cut out within an hour tops.

I've resorted to turning parking mode off altogether- I think they need an external battery pack to work reliably.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Does it just record until the internal battery runs out? As that would be okay for me, of anything couple of hours is overkill.

Does it just record until the internal battery runs out? As that would be okay for me, of anything couple of hours is overkill.
The mini 2 has a capacitor so purely runs from the car when in parkinf mode. I wonder if the dash cam 57 with a battery would last any longer but without trying I'm not sure

The mini 2 has a capacitor so purely runs from the car when in parkinf mode. I wonder if the dash cam 57 with a battery would last any longer but without trying I'm not sure

That could be an option. DC 57 has an option to keep recording without an external source. Although it will not last very long this way. The internal battery was not designed to be discharged every day.

The Garmin 57 does support self-powered parking protection but I'm not sure how long that function will run. It will increase wear on the cam battery of course, but the method is spoken of in Garmin's e-literature so presumably it's an acceptable practice by them. The 57 does good quality 2K vids at 1440p30fps. A quality cam with no real vices but is IMHO it's a little pricey for it's performance level.

Phil

I am trying to find a new/higher quality camera that does the same, though im struggling.
How about BOBLOV body worn camera? Its built-in battery can last about 8 hours recording!

Currently have an old G1W that records on for a few minutes (using its battery) after the car has stopped.

A lot of these parking modes seem to be constant recording (sometimes with low voltage cut out), motion detection or g sensor. Whereas I definitely want it to record regardless of external input.

I got myself an Orskey which had a hardwire kit with both full and part time power inputs but this doesn't do much other than allow it to do its motion detection when the car is off.

Any recommendations on cameras that may do this? Looking in the area of the Orskey S950 or Viofo A129 quality/price range. Rear camera input would be nice but not a deal breaker.

It's hard to find this feature in spec sheets as its likely lumped in with parking modes and not obvious.

how about using 2x mobius set at 5 frames per second to give you 18 hours as a parking mode and switch them on via a relay N/C contacts that provides auto power when ignition off....

Back