Camera turns off after 10 mins

DarrenHealy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Nextbase 322GW
I start my car the camera starts up fine but after roughly 10 mins it turns off but the blue light stays solid . Am I doing something wrong ?
Camera is powered by a usb output on my stereo . I'd wire it constant live but i'm not convinced this is a good idea ?

I start my car the camera starts up fine but after roughly 10 mins it turns off but the blue light stays solid . Am I doing something wrong ?
Camera is powered by a usb output on my stereo . I'd wire it constant live but i'm not convinced this is a good idea ?
maybe the screens saver is on? Have you checked your footage to see if the camera continued recording after the screen shut off? You can connect it temporarily to a constant source with its own usb adapter ands see if it still shuts off after 10 or 15 minutes. it could be that the port on your stereo is not strong enough to supply the camera entirely. if it works ok that way then you can see about doing a hard wire kit properly installed

maybe the screens saver is on? Have you checked your footage to see if the camera continued recording after the screen shut off? You can connect it temporarily to a constant source with its own usb adapter ands see if it still shuts off after 10 or 15 minutes. it could be that the port on your stereo is not strong enough to supply the camera entirely. if it works ok that way then you can see about doing a hard wire kit properly installed

The screensaver comes on quite quickly , showing my speed if i touch the screen it shows the camera recording but after approx 10 mins it goes off completely but the blue light is on

It would be good to try using the cigarette lighter usb adapter and see what happens.

It would be good to try using the cigarette lighter usb adapter and see what happens.

Sensible way to proceed i think . Thanks i appreciate your help . I'll let you know tomorrow how it goes

Sensible way to proceed i think . Thanks i appreciate your help . I'll let you know tomorrow how it goes
I'm sorry I can't be of better help.

I'm sorry I can't be of better help.

Yours may well be the solution , if so I need to hard wire but tricky finding a path through the bulkhead . Constant live would be easy but I'm unsure if that is a good idea

Bulkhead ?

Have you not got an under dash fusebox.

Also, permanent hardwire isn't a good idea as the cam will be recording 24x7 and you'll get overheating and you'll get through SDcards like there's no tomorrow.

My recommendation has always been to try and find a fuse that is only active with ignition position 2. That makes the cam startup just that little bit later and reduces the 'starter motor effect'

Bulkhead ?

Have you not got an under dash fusebox.

Also, permanent hardwire isn't a good idea as the cam will be recording 24x7 and you'll get overheating and you'll get through SDcards like there's no tomorrow.

My recommendation has always been to try and find a fuse that is only active with ignition position 2. That makes the cam startup just that little bit later and reduces the 'starter motor effect'

Theres a fusebox beautifully placed at the end of the dash but it contains only constant live fuses , the other fuse box (the one with radio , cig lighter fuses) is under the bonnet and threading the wire through would be very tricky i reckon .

That's unusual to not have a variety of fuses 'indoors'.

What car is this ?

You two are early birds aren't you?
Could you not wire it to the back of the ciggy lighter?

I'm always early.

From what I've managed to find Mercedes interior fuses aren't permanent power but they take a long time to power down giving the impression they are permanent.

I've also found posts saying that the fuse cover is very difficult to get off so be careful.

I'm always early.

From what I've managed to find Mercedes interior fuses aren't permanent power but they take a long time to power down giving the impression they are permanent.

I've also found posts saying that the fuse cover is very difficult to get off so be careful.

Need to check that out , cover is dead easy just prises off

Tried it with ciggy lighter but the bloody thing doesnt stay in grrrrrr , going to need to be the under bonnet fuse box at some point i think

Hi Darren,

Sorry to join the party a bit late.

Unfortunately the output from your stereo is insufficient to power the Dash Cam. The normal use case for a USB socket on a stereo is to read memory sticks (which take a few mA), where as the Dash Cam draws approximately 1.2A with dual cameras and battery charging. We do supply a cigarette lighter power cable with every Dash Cam, however I can read that you've had issues with the connection in your cigarette lighter socket. We also supply Hard Wire kits through various Outlets, and we'd recommend hard wiring the Dash Cam into your fuse box within the cabin (on the permanent live) in this situation, however turning on Parking Mode so that the camera switches off when no movement is detected. It also has a Battery Protection Cut Out, which prevents the car's battery from being drained to a level where it would not start.

Thanks once again to Kremmen and M8TJT for their brilliant advice in this thread.

Regards,
Millie- Nextbase

Hi Darren,

Sorry to join the party a bit late.

Unfortunately the output from your stereo is insufficient to power the Dash Cam. The normal use case for a USB socket on a stereo is to read memory sticks (which take a few mA), where as the Dash Cam draws approximately 1.2A with dual cameras and battery charging. We do supply a cigarette lighter power cable with every Dash Cam, however I can read that you've had issues with the connection in your cigarette lighter socket. We also supply Hard Wire kits through various Outlets, and we'd recommend hard wiring the Dash Cam into your fuse box within the cabin (on the permanent live) in this situation, however turning on Parking Mode so that the camera switches off when no movement is detected. It also has a Battery Protection Cut Out, which prevents the car's battery from being drained to a level where it would not start.

Thanks once again to Kremmen and M8TJT for their brilliant advice in this thread.

Regards,
Millie- Nextbase

Hi

Appreciate your reply , bought a new lighter socket thing and just driven 3 hours to Newcastle and it's been fine .
I have the hardwire kit which I'll sort when I have chance .
Appreciate all the replies on my question

Darren,

Glad to hear you've got yourself up and running. Anything we can do to help, you know where I am.

Millie- Nextbase

Millie - where is Tiffany?

Back