Camera will not start up with power on

Bill Will

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am not sure what the issue is here. I have the camera set up and wired to an ignition hot source. I used a 12V extension so the camera power plug is plugged into the extension receptacle and I clipped off the plug end of the extension and wired it to an ignition hot source.

The camera does recognize that the power is gone because it turns off after a minute when I turn off the ignition.

I have to hit the power button on the camera to turn it on.

Anyone have an idea why it is doing this?

I did several times. I actually did this on 2 different cars. With the ignition switch off there is no power....

It does, power stays on until you turn the car off. That was one of the things I tested.

Can you repeat the behavior if you power the camera via USB wall charger and simulate adding/removing power?

Edit: nevermind, i misread your post. Sounds like your wiring is right. Especially if it runs fine by manually hitting power.

I am not sure what the issue is here. I have the camera set up and wired to an ignition hot source. I used a 12V extension so the camera power plug is plugged into the extension receptacle and I clipped off the plug end of the extension and wired it to an ignition hot source.

The camera does recognize that the power is gone because it turns off after a minute when I turn off the ignition.

If you went from a switched 12V source straight to the camera you might be overpowering it. The cigar lighter/plug contains a 12V to 5V converter. The camera wants to see 5 V...not 12V.

If you went from a switched 12V source straight to the camera you might be overpowering it. The cigar lighter/plug contains a 12V to 5V converter. The camera, itself, wants to see 5 V...not 12V.

I don't know if this applies to your situation.

I have a GS6000 (?). When connected to a computer via USB cable, it starts in manual mode and must be switched to record. When the manufacturer provided proprietary power cord is plugged into a 12V accessory socket, it starts and records automatically. Per Foxoffer customer service the provided cord is needed because this dash cam reads the data wires and fires up accordingly. From http://geopeter.hubpages.com/hub/US...-inside-the-USB-Black-and-Red-White-and-Green:

The Four Wires Inside Your USB Cable
Now, what are the four wires inside the USB cable?

If we try to slice down and do the skinning of a USB cable, you can find four wires, the mentioned wires above, black and red with white and green. These colors, take note, are common with almost all USB cords.

Red, as standard color for positive wires, has 5 volts. (the voltage is similar even if that certain USB cable has different set of colors)

Black is the ground wire as for negative or ground connections.

White is the positive Data passage or in other symbol the DATA+ (data plus) wire.

Green defines the negative DATA pathways or the DATA- (data minus) wire.
I went your route with similar consequences, loss of time and extra expense. I re-wired with an add-a-fuse and ground to loose 12 volt sockets and plugged in the provided cables with a few wraps of electrical tape to hold them together under the dash. I've done this with my GT680W, Garmin GPS, Cobra detector and GS6000 for the rear. The single add-a-fuse serves all devices and each are powered and protected as intended by the manufacturer. I also got a surprise with the Garmin LMT. The box said I needed a special cord to enable traffic reports. When I switched from aftermarket 12V-USB to the provided cord, traffic reports appeared.

Hope this helps, good luck and keep us posted.

these cameras arent that fancy that they need a special power cord. i've used 3 different adapters with mine (none of which came with it as it happens) and they worked fine.

i have just hardwired 2 cams front and back and have the same problem, shutdown after 1 minute from power off and manual start when poer on but not by themselves did anyone solve this??

i fixed this by simply moving and piggybacking to another fuse that had start and cut off by shuting the engine as the power Windows provided some kind power after shutoff :)

Back