Camera works on 2.33 but not 2.41

cherrys

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey folks, many thanks for your resources here. I've bought the wide angle mobius 1 and love it to bits so far. I've added a supercap and wired a 3M long USB into the 12V as I'm too scared to hardwire lol.

But I've got everything setup in msetup fine to run once the ignition is on, but I've noticed that the camera works perfectly fine in 2.33 and in 2.41 I get the orange flashing but absolutely no recordings. Could this be a problem with the firmware or my camera as all settings remained unchanged?

Also is it advised to leave the advanced settings sliders to default? I can'tfind anything that suggests altering them for better quality, my camera has a slight blu-ish tinge to it.

Lastly I'm considering switching out my wide angle for a standard as I only use mine as a dashcam and do have some number plate readability problems with the wide angle. The sticky shows this to be slightly more complicated than the battery removal. Is there much room for error as far as damaging lens/sockets inside?

Much appreciated

Last edited:
hey folks, many thanks for your resources here. I've bought the wide angle mobius 1 and love it to bits so far. I've added a supercap and wired a 3M long USB into the 12V as I'm too scared to hardwire lol.

But I've got everything setup in msetup fine to run once the ignition is on, but I've noticed that the camera works perfectly fine in 2.33 and in 2.41 I get the orange flashing but absolutely no recordings. Could this be a problem with the firmware or my camera as all settings remained unchanged?

Also is it advised to leave the advanced settings sliders to default? I can'tfind anything that suggests altering them for better quality, my camera has a slight blu-ish tinge to it.

Lastly I'm considering switching out my wide angle for a standard as I only use mine as a dashcam and do have some number plate readability problems with the wide angle.

Much appreciated

Try flashing the 2.41 firmware after removing it from the PC/Laptop and getting mSetup to download it again. Could be a bad download.

Shouldn't normally have a blue tinge, check if you've set the 'Colour Options' or 'White Balance' slider to anything other 'Auto' or 'Normal'.

The wide angle C2 performs a little better in low-light conditions, if most of your driving is during the day or on well lit roads, you could give the A lens a shot.

No cam or lens gives you certainty of number plate reading; you'll do well to reach 80%+ daytime, less on fast roads w/ oncoming traffic, and far less at night. Some plate styles knock another 20% off all those figures :( This can be enhanced somewhat in post-production of the vid clip. The narrow lens does visibly better with plates but at the cost of FOV; much of what you need to record happens at the edges such as the cross-traffic at intersections ;) Most of us feel better having a wider FOV at the slight loss of edge clarity which goes with it. Ideal is one cam for each which several folks here do and I soon will as well.

Phil

I'd set to narrow view on Msetup to see if you like the narrow FOV better instead of changing lens. On Msetup you can use mouse-over and a popup will show what it'll do. Remember to click "set parameter" to complete your setup.
My 2 Mobius are set to narrow view. Front, A lens, Rear, C2 lens. As @SawMaster said, some prefer wider FOV to capture wider view. I prefer narrow view for more natural view especially distance.

I'd set to narrow view on Msetup to see if you like the narrow FOV better instead of changing lens. On Msetup you can use mouse-over and a popup will show what it'll do. Remember to click "set parameter" to complete your setup.
My 2 Mobius are set to narrow view. Front, A lens, Rear, C2 lens. As @SawMaster said, some prefer wider FOV to capture wider view. I prefer narrow view for more natural view especially distance.
Going by footage I like the colours of the standard one. The wide was cheaper hence why I opted for that one.

The ebay seller is asking for $26.99 for the A2 lens. I think i will just get another camera.

I've tried 2.37 and 2.41 both with the same settings and I'm still having problems. With 2.41 once connected to USB, it will flash orange twice and then a quick red flash and then green flashes before all lights shut off. It is recording meanwhile with 0 indicators. Tried using Msetup directly + doing it manually. I have a super capacitor + connected to the 12V if that changes anything.

Are there any major visual changes from 2.33 to 2.41 or is it only software related?

Last edited:
If above is your setting, you have B lens and FOV, set wide. Just change FOV it to narrow.

Regarding your "blueish" tint you should ascertain whether you do indeed have the "B" wide angle lens or the newer "C2" lens. The "B" lens was discontinued some time ago.

If you do have the "C2" lens rather than the "B" lens you need to choose the "C" lens setting in mSetup. Each lens has specific color characteristics and the firmware will adjust for it, which is one reason for those options, so this may well be the explanation for the blueish tint you are experiencing.

You can use this photo to determine whether you have a "C2" lens or a "B" lens.

The one on the left is the C2 lens and the one on the right is the B lens.

Setting the "C2" lens to "narrow" will give you a less wide angle FOV more like the inherently narrower "B" lens if set to wide.

C2&B.jpg

Last edited:
If above is your setting, you have B lens and FOV, set wide. Just change FOV it to narrow.
Yeah afaik I have the B lens. (The one spytec is selling). I've tried wide and narrow setting side by side and i dont see any noticable difference other than the fov itself.

Oh damn so i have the C2 lens RIP.

Regarding your "blueish" tint you should ascertain whether you do indeed have the "B" wide angle lens or the newer "C2" lens. The "B" lens was discontinued some time ago.

If you do have the "C2" lens rather than the "B" lens you need choose the "C" lens setting in mSetup. Each lens has specific color characteristics and the firmware will adjust for it, which is one reason for those options. This may well be the explanation for the blueish tint you are experiencing.

You can use this photo to determine whether you have a "C2" lens or a "B" lens.

The one on the left is the C2 lens and the one on the right is the B lens.

Setting the "C2" lens to "narrow" will give you a less wide angle FOV more like the inherently narrower "B" lens if set to wide.

View attachment 29445
i have the C2 lens it seems. Will change the setting and test it out!

i have the C2 lens it seems. Will change the setting and test it out!

Let us know if the blue tint improves.

I've tried wide and narrow setting side by side and i dont see any noticable difference other than the fov itself.

The FOV is what the wide/narrow setting adjusts. Remember, FOV means, "field of view".

Last edited:
Let us know it the blue tint improves.

The FOV is what the wide/narrow setting adjusts. Remember, FOV means, "field of view".
Thanks, will try it in the day. Got the "b lens" footage for comparison.

I figured changing the fov setting would somewhat offer slightly better clarity with the change in angle.

Also ive managed to make it work on 3.41, when I plug it into my car and ignition on I get flashing green/blue lights before it records on the orange light. This is about 5-6 seconds of delay, is this normal behaviour of the firmware?

Thanks, will try it in the day. Got the "b lens" footage for comparison.

I figured changing the fov setting would somewhat offer slightly better clarity with the change in angle.

Also ive managed to make it work on 3.41, when I plug it into my car and ignition on I get flashing green/blue lights before it records on the orange light. This is about 5-6 seconds of delay, is this normal behaviour of the firmware?

Yes, there is a delay as the camera boots up so that's normal. It's basically a tiny computer.

The wide/narrow setting will alter the FOV but should not affect the clarity of the image.

Last edited:
Yes, there is a delay as the camera boots up so that's normal. It's basically a tiny computer.

The wide/narrow setting will alter the FOV but should not affect the clarity of the image.
the change in setting has improved the camera greatly, thanks!!

lastly would it be fine to disable usb port charging as im using a super cap?

No-that's what charges the supercaps. You might also want to check that the last files are being saved properly- I notice you have "Power Off Disconnect" @ immediate (correct fpr caps) but "Power Off Standby" is @ 30 seconds, which cap versions will not do. I keep that one on "off" with mine.

Phil

No-that's what charges the supercaps. You might also want to check that the last files are being saved properly- I notice you have "Power Off Disconnect" @ immediate (correct fpr caps) but "Power Off Standby" is @ 30 seconds, which cap versions will not do. I keep that one on "off" with mine.

Phil
I've just tried the usb charging off and it works fine.
I just wanted the orange light to flash only instead of green orange intervals.

Everything is recording perfectly with the ignition, i'll turn the standby feature to off since i have no need for it.

Thanks

I've just tried the usb charging off and it works fine.

It won't stay fine. The super-capacitor is like a battery except that it only holds a small charge. If you leave the USB charging set to off the super-cap won't get charged anymore once it drains down and then you will lose the time and date settings and you will also find that the last file doesn't get saved.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
TonyM Mobius 6
I Mobius 0
Y Mobius 4
1 Mobius 7
S Mobius 3
Back