Cameras with Separate PVR Unit?

Fruit Bat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, looking for pointers.

I've been wanting to fit a dashcam system for a while, and really wish I had now. The problem is my idea of a good system doesn't seem to match what's on the market:
  • Discreet wired front and rear cameras, with good day and night performance;
  • Ability to use rear camera as a reversing aid;
  • Central recording unit (separate from cameras) with removable recording media;
  • Dash button to preserve current events + margin;
  • Shock sensing to preserve current events + margin (including stationary vehicle events such as collision while parked);
  • Dash (not windscreen) mountable display to support reversing aid use (maybe video feed into infotainment system).
I'm sure I can come up with some other requirements too.

It seems to me all or most of this could be done with USB-connected cameras and an app running on an Android-based infotainment system.

Dash cams don't make for good back-up cameras for a variety of reasons like angle of view and placement. Otherwise, everything else you want is currently available from several manufacturers.

If you need a reversing camera get one of those, that feature are not good in dahscams and are not supported by very many ( most dashcams also have very small screens so dashcams with backup feature are most often the mirror style camera )

There are a few good choices of dual-remote cams. K2S or the K2S Pro with better sensors, and the new SG9663DR You can look them up for their features and specs.
I've been running a K2S for over a year now with almost no problems, and no serious problems. It does require the special power supplies it comes with but the cam units are the smallest I've seen (Pro version too). The SG cam may be new but is based on a proven earlier cam and SG is known for making only trouble-free excellent cams. You can also use a 'motorcycle cam' to get done what you want, but mounting the cam units might not be straightforward or stealthy and few of these have an LCD screen as it's not needed or useful on a bike.

Phil

Back