Can a DVR operate for long hours such as road trip?

Mindoro

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello-We are thinking of getting a DVR this year for our NY to Orlando road trip. It is about a 20+ hour long drive for my family with a few quick breaks along the way.

At the moment, we are leaning towards a discreet model such as the A118c or mini 0806.

Ques: can the DVR such a long period of non stop recording? Will the unit overheat and burnout?

Thank you for your insight.

Normally, yes.
That's the whole idea of having a dashcam.
However, extreme hot days may have some issue.
Make sure to have quite a few microSD cards for long trips.

Hopefully owners of the A118C and Mini 0806 will reply.
The long recording sessions are usually not a problem for the DVRs.
Typically the hazard condition is while parked in the sunlight in hot weather where cabin temp get well above 100F. Better to avoid the models with a battery. Look for models that have super capacitor instead.
Several good cams will tolerate this too. You may want to turn off the cam if it will be a very hot car while parked in Orlando.
My Panorama 2 has run nearly continuously for most of a year with no problems. It is in motion detect mode which is "always on" and recording most of the day (except when parked in the garage at night).
Get a large memory card so you have a longer history file.

Should be able to... but I'm sure there will be some stops in between for gas, etc. My trip to Vegas consist of 8 hour total, but usually stop after 3 to 4 hour of driving for restroom break, gas, etc.

4.5 hours non-stop on the A118-C was fine, still continued to record, looping old videos. Though I'm not 100% sure on the quality of the video as my A118-C has problems in terms of quality of the video and focus issues.

it should be fine. I've had a mini 0801 running from San Francisco to Palm springs. that's through some parts of Death Valley and around 8-9 hours of drive time. it would be better to buy a model with a super capacitor to better deal with the heat but my LiPo powered 0801 survived it just fine, too.

The Mobius on my bus runs continuously for 9 hours with only a 45 minute break somewhere in the middle.
Only problems I've had are with a cheapo SD card (I thought it was Kingston but it wasn't!) and the plug adaptor

the longest I've driven in one go (with petrol stops) was about 12 hours and had no problems with my DVR

Back