Can a script improve battery life in time lapse mode?

Tore

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
When I compare the running time of 60 second time lapse with 1080P video, I get 106 minutes vs 96 minutes on a single battery. Might as well shoot video for my use case then.

My question is, is it possible to control the power mode of the camera with a script or otherwise make a script to improve the running time of a time lapse?

What I am looking for is having a time lapse covering as large time window as possible, 1 photo every minute (or every 5 minutes) would be enough, so going into standby mode in between photos would make a lot of sense. Access to external power does not exist and I would have to carry all batteries so I want it to be as efficient as possible. Thanks.

turn off LED, turn off wifi. All i can suggest except external powerbank...

Thanks for your reply.
Yes, wifi was off during my simple tests. I will try turning off all LED to see what difference that will make. Ideally I would want to capture 9-10 hours per day for 10-12 days which means I'm currently looking at having to carry ~60000 mAh, a quite substantial amount even with powerbanks.
I will keep my eyes open for any firmware updates or new findings that may improve this.

there is no way this camera can last for HOURS without external power supply, half a day for over a week? Grab a car battery and you still be short.

in fact i used a 13000mAh power bank to supply the camera during a timelapse shot from 3am to 11am.
in 8 hours the powebank was only used about 30% of its battery. it still shows 3 out of 4 LED lights after the process.

I just tested with a rather new 10000 mAh power bank and got 1138 photos or almost 19 hours. Earlier I tried turning off all LED but didn't really notice any difference. I still feel there is something remarkably inefficient about the time lapse mode but maybe that's just me. After all, it is primarily meant for shooting video.

I just tested with a rather new 10000 mAh power bank and got 1138 photos or almost 19 hours. Earlier I tried turning off all LED but didn't really notice any difference. I still feel there is something remarkably inefficient about the time lapse mode but maybe that's just me. After all, it is primarily meant for shooting video.
I have the same feeling. It seems the camera just does nothing to save battery between the shooting intervals..

Back