Can anyone help re: G1W-C from Gearbest.com

Travelboyuk

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
Hi,

I'm looking at getting a dash cam. After hours of sifting through various reviews, I decided upon the G1W-C. There are so many fake/rip-off versions where I live (Thailand), that I decided it's probably better to get one through a well known distributor.

I looked at the review on DashCamTalk. The review points out that potential buyers should be wary of fakes and that to make sure the seller lists the chipset as Novatek 96650 and the image sensor as Aptina AR0330 CMOS sensor.

At the bottom of the DashCamTalk review is a list of links where the G1W-C can be purchased. The link to Gearbest.com works, and the chipset is NT96650, but the only information I could see about image sensor is "1/2.5 inch 5.0MP COMS".

Q: Is this the same as the AR0330 CMOS sensor, or should I avoid buying the one from GearBest?

Thank you in advance.

that spec is not for the Aptina sensor, it could quite easily be wrong though, attention to detail is not really their thing

there is more than one version of this camera, the review done on this site by @niko was not from this supplier, which version they sell is unknown

Ok. Thanks. So will probably not get the one from the link listed on DashCamTalk. Was going to get the one from Fox Offer, but they are closed for Chinese New Year til 26 Feb.

If you order anything out of China now it is unlikely to go anywhere before the 27th, the freight companies go on holidays also, the whole country grinds to a halt

Lol. Same in Thailand for a week in April for Songkran. Amazon won't ship to Thailand so can't get from there. Any suggestions? Or just wait til March.

สวัสดีครับคุณTravelboyuk

I bought mine on EBay from a seller in Los Angeles, I am pretty sure that they will ship to Thailand but then you will have to deal with custom and import tax?
Why not buy it locally (assuming prices are comparable), I paid $56, shipping included.

Mp

Hello Mp,

Thanks for the reply. As stated in my original post, there are many fakes/copies over here. I've only been to about 6 'stores' to look, but every time I just got a gut feeling of don't bother with this one. It's little things like asking the vendor what model it is and him saying "Don't know, here's the box". The G1W-C also doesn't seem to have got here yet. I'll probably wait until after Chinese New Year then get one from FoxOffer.

Gearbest's G1W's are not fake.

Thanks Sunny and GJHS.

I had seen the list stating that Gearbest are genuine. My original post question was concerning the sensor. On Gearbest, it says the sensor is '1/2.5 inch 5.0MP COMS'. Reviews of the G1W-C say that genuine cameras have the 'AR0330 CMOS sensor'. Street Guardian replied to inform me that 1/2.5 inch 5.0MP COMS isn't the spec for the Aptina AR0330 CMOS sensor. He also said that the Gearbest description might be wrong because Gearbest aren't that great on attention to detail.

Yes, the specs and description sometimes is not accurate but the cameras do have correct chips.

Ok. Thanks Sunny. I have ordered from Gearbest, just hope that the sensor is the AR0330 CMOS.

You can cancel before it ships, so write Sunny or Customer Sevice and confirm

One of the members here recently posted a review of the A118-C that he got from Gearbest, you may want to take a look. The sensor is AR 0330 you will be pleased to know.
A118C compared to A118 - Review video

Edit: Sorry, different camera.

Last edited:
Back