Can anyone identify this dashcam plug?

WhatsThisPlug

Reaction score
Country
United States
My cars previous owner seems to left very clean wiring for a dash cam in it. I'd like to get a dash cam and use the preexisting wiring, but I'm not sure what dash cams fit the plug. I could also get an adapter for a more common plug. It looks like it's possibly a coaxial barrel plug, but I don't know the exact size. So what plug is this and what cameras or adapters can I use with it?

Attachments

• IMG_1985.jpg
    IMG_1985.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1986.jpg
    IMG_1986.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1987.jpg
    IMG_1987.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 35
If you’re interested I believe you can order a cam you want and just replace the head of the wire.

Thats a barrel style connector, but it look large compared to what is used in dashcams.
Yours look like a 5.5 mm size where dashcams to my knowledge use the smaller sizes like 3.5 mm ( maybe smaller )
I am more inclined to think that the connector was used with a radar detector or something like that.
Today most dashcams use 5 volts, normally provided via a mini or micro USB plug in the camera.

You can get adapters for barrel plug to down or up - size, but it will just add bulk and may render a install impossible depending on where the female plug are on the camera.
You can also put another plug on that fit a camera you might find.
Only barrel plug camera ( 12 V ) i have are the old SG9665XS V1 camera ( now replaced with V2 ) but it use the 3.5 mm plug.
IMG_20180323_013005.jpg

Maybe for a radar detector or sat radio recvr?
I'd check what voltage is present, anyway. Probably 12V, but....???

Indeed check voltage and polarity, the norm as i recall is + on the inner connector and - on the outside one.

Thats a barrel style connector, but it look large compared to what is used in dashcams.
Yours look like a 5.5 mm size where dashcams to my knowledge use the smaller sizes like 3.5 mm ( maybe smaller )
I am more inclined to think that the connector was used with a radar detector or something like that.
Today most dashcams use 5 volts, normally provided via a mini or micro USB plug in the camera.

You can get adapters for barrel plug to down or up - size, but it will just add bulk and may render a install impossible depending on where the female plug are on the camera.
You can also put another plug on that fit a camera you might find.
Only barrel plug camera ( 12 V ) i have are the old SG9665XS V1 camera ( now replaced with V2 ) but it use the 3.5 mm plug.
View attachment 37121
Just measured, it's a 3.5mm plug. Looks like the previous owner didn't tap into the fuse box though as I don't see any tap a fuses there, so they probably used a dome light or something. I'm not sure exactly how I could measure the voltage, the barrel looks too narrow for any of my volt meters to fit in. Perhaps sticking a thin piece of wire in and using that might work.

UPDATE: The plug puts out 12v. Looks like I'll need something to convert to 5v if I want to use this plug, anyone know of solutions? I'm guessing that this isn't going to be as easy as I thought...

UPDATE: I found this 12v to 5v converter which looks perfect. Assuming that the plug isn't putting out too many amps for it will it work?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00U2DGJOQ

Last edited:
As long as that 12 -> 5 V converter can deliver a decent amperage it should be fine, but all the 5V dashcams come with their own PSU so you might not need it.
Okay the PSUs normally plug into the cigarette lighter socket on the dash / console, so if you use that for other things, many of us with the need for a lot of USB power use a ciggerette USB charger with 4 ports or so.
Again one just have to make sure it have a okay amperage on each port, and then use a decent USB cable.
Either something that split at the socket.
5547_P_1451341035871.jpg

Or something that put the USB plugs a bit remote.
wagan_2892_4_port_usb_cigarette_lighter_charger.jpg

In general you will want something that can give 2 Amps at last on each port, to be on the safe side with most cameras.

it's a 3515 connector, we use them on some of our cameras, lots of Korean cameras have used these also, Blackvue, Finevue, Thinkware etc

it's a 3515 connector, we use them on some of our cameras, lots of Korean cameras have used these also, Blackvue, Finevue, Thinkware etc
Well it doesn't get more authoritative than that.

Back