Can B1W be used with an Ipad mini ?

HBH

Reaction score
Country
Egypt
Dash Cam
Charlesred
The app in the App Store is not found.

I do not own a smartphone and I want to use this as a discrete camera to watch who is coming and going to the breezeway entrance of my apartment. There are some creepy people around stealing packages left at my door and possibly selling drugs ...

I dont think you can expect much wifi range or penetration by the B1W, you are probably better off with a security camera like Arlo or similar, these can also be acquired at a decent price.

Porch pirates and drug dealers = damn parasites.

I dont think you can expect much wifi range or penetration by the B1W, you are probably better off with a security camera like Arlo or similar, these can also be acquired at a decent price.

Porch pirates and drug dealers = damn parasites.
No dashcam will go through many walls, but 1 wall may be OK as long as it doesn't need to get through the roof of the car as well. The B1W actually has a decent range for a dashcam, have you tried yours from indoors? (With your car facing your living room)

Don't know anything about Apples, but I'm fairly certain the app will be in the store if you look in the right place, there would have been a lot of complaints by now if it wasn't, and the "Ipad mini" should run it just as well as a smartphone would.

with any luck the car may have windows :p
I've seen images of Kamkar1's car from his security camera, and although it does have windows, we normally see the roof since he doesn't live on the ground floor!

The app in the App Store is not found.
I got an iPad and had a check!
I see it if I select "iPhone only", but "iPad only", I don't see it!
So, please select iPhone only and try searching for it because there is no iPad version available!
DINGTALK_IM_2435443731.JPG

with any luck the car may have windows :p
I've seen images of Kamkar1's car from his security camera, and although it does have windows, we normally see the roof since he doesn't live on the ground floor!
Take a look at the video, that large rectangular shape at the front is a window, coincidence would have it that is where the camera would be mounted

Take a look at the video, that large rectangular shape at the front is a window, coincidence would have it that is where the camera would be mounted
Last we saw of Kamkar1's B1W it was videoing the inside of the car, not the outside, however I believe he does use Windows, doesn't seem to like Apples or Androids.

Moot point anyway as for Kamcar's example it's too far to be practical anyway, I do appreciate that you like to argue the ridiculous perspective when possible so it's all par for the course :D

Moot point anyway as for Kamcar's example it's too far to be practical anyway, I do appreciate that you like to argue the ridiculous perspective when possible so it's all par for the course :D
I think this might be like trying to convince you that CPL filters should always be vertically aligned - it may take some time, but we can get there eventually!

Actually I am not so concerned about trying watch in real time inside my apartment using wifi. I would not expect it to have much range. My ipad is out of range of my wifi network inside my apartment, so the range limitation for that is predictable. I just want to set it up in Park mode and try to record a long stream of video through my windshield onto the memory card to review later as a sample of who is coming and going into the breezeway of my apartment entrance. I am not sure if that is do-able to record several hours straight of activity or not. Not much discussion to be found about using the B1W for recording a stream of video recordings for such purpose. I have the hardwire kit. Still waiting on the micro sd memory card from ebay. Until then I cannot test. I have a high capacity 12v battery to test within my apartment for that. The Ipad would be convenient as a monitor to set up and position in the car if do-able using the wifi capability. Else perhaps direct connect to laptop instead or just downloading the files off the memory card to review on my computer using a card reader.

Jury is still out if there is an app for the ipad that works like the one for the iphone, or if it is even needed.

I am also looking into getting a door peephole camera that can record comings and goings directly outside my door, triggered by sound.

Last edited:
any range issues aside I'm not sure you could record the stream on your iPad, that would require the iPad to do the encoding, don't know that that's actually possible

The recording is actually done on the memory card, right? As for being able the view through the B1W, it seems to me that as the ipad has a camera built in for video phone calls (Facebook) If the iphone can can act as the monitor the B1W, the ipad should probably be able to as well. That is all I am trying to do with the ipad. Is there, or will there be an app available for the ipad, and if so, is there one available, and where? Else, when?

Last edited:
What I am getting at is the ipad has a built in camera that can output to the screen in real time, as in the Facetime application, among other apps. That said, it should be possible to use the pad with the B1W as external camera as is done with the app for the iphone, if all you want is a way of viewing camera output, no?

Last edited:
you can live view the camera, has nothing to do with the camera that is built into the iPad, not sure if you can live view while recording though

My original question still stands: can I use my ipad mini as I would if I had an iphone with the B1W_CARDVR app? If not, will an app for the ipad be developed? How about using Windows laptop or tablet? Is there software I need for that?

Put more simply: what can I use as a monitor if I don't have an iphone or Android phone?

Last edited:
My original question still stands: can I use my ipad mini as I would if I had an iphone with the B1W_CARDVR app? If not, will an app for the ipad be developed? How about using Windows laptop or tablet? Is there software I need for that?

Put more simply: what can I use as a monitor if I don't have an iphone or Android phone?
Like I said before, I don't know much about Apples, but I use an Android tablet and run the Android phone app on that, works fine and displays both live video while recording and plays back video off the memory card in the B1W. I would expect you to be able to install the iPhone app on the iPad, I think that is what estore was suggesting.

Maybe you should say which version of the iPad you have and somebody might try it and work out why you can't see it... not me though.

I think a 1GB memory card is too small, and probably too slow. 8GB is normally the minimum for a dashcam, most people use 64GB or 128GB cards, with a 64GB card the B1W will record over 10 hours of video before it starts overwriting the oldest. A 64GB Samsung Evo doesn't cost much, although you need to make sure it is a real one and not a cheap fake card.

A Windows tablet will only work if you put an Android emulator on it, I've not heard of many people trying that though so not sure that is guaranteed to work.

You can always put the memory card in your iPad for playback of the video, or maybe in your TV would be easier via a USB memory card reader.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C B1W 1
Geordie B1W 8
Back