Can B1W be used with an Ipad mini ?

Thank you for your response. It sounds like we are on the same page. I have a 64gb card ordered and expect it to arrive in a day or two. I would have gone for a 128gb card, but jury is still out on if that is beyond spec because it is untested, or if it just doesn't work. I have read a thread that someone has used 128gb. I really won't know the capabilities for my intended application untilIcatestwith a working sd card though, which may unravel the mysteries. So much is undocumented. Am I simply an early adopter? Is this a very new product?

Thank you.

Thank you for your response. It sounds like we are on the same page. I have a 64gb card ordered and expect it to arrive in a day or two. I would have gone for a 128gb card, but jury is still out on if that is beyond spec because it is untested, or if it just doesn't work. I have read a thread that someone has used 128gb. I really won't know the capabilities for my intended application untilIcatestwith a working sd card though, which may unravel the mysteries. So much is undocumented. Am I simply an early adopter? Is this a very new product?

Thank you.
The B1W isn't exactly new; they were new when I got mine last November. They are now quite well tested and have proved very reliable for a new product.

I guess most people who buy one have a smartphone so the issues you are having don't come up. Once you get the app running everything will become clear...
Most people will look at the video on a computer or laptop, my tablet works but a big screen is better if it is available. If you don't have a computer then a TV may be a good option.
I guess not many people need more than 10 hours of recording, and if they can afford a big card then they wouldn't have bought a cheap camera. So your questions don't normally come up.

One of the reasons I like this dashcam, if I can make it work, is that it is cheap and stealthy. My old car's doors don't lock and I already had my gps stolen last year while parked in front of my apartment (my bad, I shouldn't have left it in the car). I don't want to risk an expensive dashcam to theft if I can avoid it. As for the memory card, "bigger is better" in that the bigger the capacity the longer its life as a function of # of cycles on the card. Its life is finite.

Perhaps a spy camera would be a better choice if the wifi range could extend to be seen by my home computer... The wifi range would be that issue, which I haven't yet explored. Perhaps there is a way to boost that.

One of the reasons I like this dashcam, if I can make it work, is that it is cheap and stealthy. My old car's doors don't lock and I already had my gps stolen last year while parked in front of my apartment (my bad, I shouldn't have left it in the car). I don't want to risk an expensive dashcam to theft if I can avoid it. As for the memory card, "bigger is better" in that the bigger the capacity the longer its life as a function of # of cycles on the card. Its life is finite.

Perhaps a spy camera would be a better choice if the wifi range could extend to be seen by my home computer... The wifi range would be that issue, which I haven't yet explored. Perhaps there is a way to boost that.
Memory card price / write cycle is very similar between the normal size cards, gets a bit more expensive for the current biggest cards and below 32GB, so the real difference is reliability - a big card will last longer.

With a camera smaller than the B1W the wifi range is likely to be very short because you cant fit a proper size antenna into the camera, although I'm not sure there are many wifi cameras that are actually smaller than a B1W.

My car locks failed last week, the relay that drives the motors failed. Because that relay is a security risk, instead of being located in an easy place to replace it is soldered into the central computer which is buried behind the radio, clock, aircon, heater - a nightmare to get to! The car is currently in pieces.

My original question still stands: can I use my ipad mini as I would if I had an iphone with the B1W_CARDVR app? If not, will an app for the ipad be developed? How about using Windows laptop or tablet? Is there software I need for that?

Put more simply: what can I use as a monitor if I don't have an iphone or Android phone?

Your iPad can run (most) any app designed for an iPhone except that it will appear on your iPad screen in the size and shape of an iPhone screen. The B1W-CARDVR app requires iOS v8.0 or higher, so that means it will run on any of iPad or iPhone made since 2014. The current version of iOS is v11.4 with v12 in beta.

You can download the B1W-CARDVR app to your iPad just to get a feel for what to expect from running the iPhone app on it without having to purchase the dash cam yet.

Last edited:
Thank you for that. I already purchased and have the B1W (although I am considering if I can return it if not suitable to what I want to do.

Still waiting on a 64gb class 10 SD micro card to arrive soon so I can at least try to test what it can do. Meanwhile I finally got my ipad to see the downloadable B1W-CARDVR app for ipad. Unfortunately it requires that I use my old cc cvv code to proceed in the download/install - which I am trying to input to verify but that function is currently (temporarily?) unavailable. I have never cared much for the ipad os. Clunky. So I will have to wait. I am assuming it is a free app - I am mystified about needing payment pwrd verification for it ... If I hadn't received the ipad as a gift I would not have purchased it.

+tore using my ipad mini (ios 9.3.5)./

Last edited:
I'm puzzled why you would need to enter any codes to download the free app. I don't own a B1W but I easily can download the B1W-CARDVR app from Apple App Store just by clicking the "GET" button under the app icon.
The only thing you'll need is an Apple ID and a password. If you don't already have an Apple ID simply sign up for one and you'll be able to download any app directly to your iPad. (or to a Mac computer via the iTunes App.)

I am puzzled by this too. I hit GET. I enter my id & pwd no problem, but then it wants to verify me as if it is a purchase. "Account Settings: "All family members share the payment method below ... (cc #, cvv). Then it says that " the app store and Apple Music cannot process your request at this time. Try again later."is currently unavailable. ??? It had an old cc listed and I tried to guess the cvv a few times unsuccessfully until I was able to look it up. Perhaps it locked me out? But why should I have to go through authentication on what I presume is a free app?

I don't know the answer to your problem but I'd take a guess that you need to update your CC info. Try THIS LINK and see if it will help you. If not I would try clicking on "support" and see if you can get some direct help from Apple.

I just spent time with Apple support. It seems there was some sort of account setup that they had to adjust. I have now downloaded the app to my ipad successfully. Looks good. I just need to have a micro sd card formatted in fat32 and will be off to the races. I had an old 1gb card in it UI was trying to test. It appears to have fallen out ? - or if it is still there it doesn't appear to be. Voice prompt telling me to install it...

But I think this might work!

I just received the Samsung EVO Plus 128gb card I bought on ebay. $24.99 - Ebay seller ruhelectronics (2356). Pre Formatted as "exfat32" (119gb). It appears to work great right out of the gate. I have tested and it records to it just fine. I can read the files off of the card, and I can plug the B1W directly into my pc's usb port using the right cable. They look great!

No luck getting the B1W to connect to my Ipad mini with the "B1W-CARDVR" app from Apple App Store. Hence I don't know if/how to set up the parameters such as resolution and time length of clip, much less be able to view the streaming recording. The B1W appears and connects on my ipad's wifi list. The app loads and sees the connection. "Click to connect" appears to attempt to setup the installation. However it will not resolve to actually run the application. It just spins.

Perhaps that iphone "B1W-CARDVR" app simply will not work on the ipad mini as is without some programming. That leaves me without any real-time display monitor and no way to modify setting parameters.

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting around this?

Last edited:
Did Apple make you update the software on your iPad @HBH ?
I saw you mention it was on iOS 9.3.5, I checked the blueseasky app and noticed in the update log it's been updated for iOS 11.

You may have better luck upgrading to iOS 11.

You also may have worse luck upgrading to iOS 11 if you have an iPad Mini 1/2......

Good luck :unsure:

I confirmed with Apple support that I have an older ipad mini (2 yrs old?) that cannot be upgraded to IOS 10. I need to hook up with a Blueseasky tech rep, if one is monitoring this DashCamTalk thread to ask if there is an app available that works with iOS 9.3.5 on the ipad mini, or some other avenue to be able to get around my current limitations of no real-time display monitor and no way to modify setting parameters.

Last edited:
iOS 9.3.5 was released in August 2016, long before the B1W was released to the marketplace, so I think it unlikely that there will be a compatible app available from Blueskysea. I too have an older iPad mini and have begun to run into the obsolete operating system issues. Sometimes it seems like planned obsolescence but the nature of evolving chipset architecture also plays a role. I even have a couple of favorite weather apps that more or less stopped working and require me to buy a new iPad in order to upgrade. To be honest, it's probably time to upgrade but I plan to wait until the next iPad iteration which probably will happen around next October.

@HBH, since you say you're not pleased with the iPad and yours is long in the tooth it might be time to consider an Android product. There are some good deals out there. :)

if there is an app available that works with iOS 9.3.5 on the ipad mini,
We need to find the same iPad mini and will back to you after testing!

some very cheap ones out there that are more than capable also

Yeah, I guess that's what I was saying. One wouldn't need to spend much to have a nice Android device that will operate well for the B1W and more.

Last edited:
We need to find the same iPad mini and will back to you after testing!

I am not all that crazy about Apple in the first place. Mine was given to me as a gift and isn't good for much. Nor do I really want to invest in yet another device like an Android I will otherwise never use.

So, what about some Windows application software support that will at least let me configure the B1W ?

Or- are there alternative generic Ipad iOS 9.3.5 apps that I could adapt this to? Or do I just pack it all up and send it in for a refund to the ebay seller and take the hit on postage and restocking fee for my trouble and look for something else?

There should be something I can do with this. My B1W transmits on wifi. There must be some application software that can access the wifi signal, do the handshake and give me some kind of access to this device, no ?

estore009 replied to a thread I launched on DashCamTalk:

"Is there any Windows software support available?"

Response:
"Sorry, after a check with my team, this Windows software is not available!"

Not very encouraging. Apparently the only support for the B1W is through either a current iphone or an Android. Without the "B1W-CARDVR" app, there is no other way to control settings or monitor this dashcam...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C B1W 1
Geordie B1W 8
Back