Can I access videos from 522 mynextbase dashcam remotely.

Pk3040

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IPhone or laptop is not anywhere near the dashcam and without the chip adapter. Sorry, I’m a complete non-technical. Have been googling my way with this and just not able to figure it out. With adaptor, I know I can access last 3-4 days of videos.
But remotely, is it possible to view live videos and trace your car?
Many thanks
KO

Welcome to the forum Pk3040.

To access your camera remotely in most cases you need a camera that have LTE, or the camera are within range of your home WIFI.
In general this mean the "Smart" cameras a few brands make.
Also normally dashcams going to parking guard, well they turn off their wifi if it have been on to conserve power, so very few have been able to mod / whip something together to just DL files from your camera in the car over wifi at home ( Viofo )
Some LTE enabled cameras, well in parking guard they also turn the LTE modem off to conserve power, and so you cant access it that way, at least it is that way with some cameras when they go to very deep sleep and use a radar to wake up the system, i think both blackvue and thinkware cameras do that.

Mind you the transfer speeds are slow LTE or 5 GHZ wifi, putting the memory card reader ( fast one on a fast USB port ) are much faster,,,, like 10 X
I personally just use wifi to do settings as my eyes can better deal with my 6" phone screen than the 1" that might be on the camera, newer cameras i have tested ( fast 5 GHZ wifi ) they still take 30 seconds to dl a single 330 MB file, the same file with the memory card in my card reader take 5 seconds.

A smart camera,,,, well to work the LTE function it might have, you also have to pay for a SIM card for it, and that in itself are also a additional monthly cost.

I am getting a smart / LTE camera soon VIA kickstarter,,,,,, might it is over a year delayed now, i am going to test the LTE part too, but i do think within a few months i will cancel that SIM card again.

Of course if your car are driving, then there will be no problem logging into a smart camera, and watch how your wife / kid drive, and also track where they are on a map.
I just mentioned the when parked issues as that is what many want.

IPhone or laptop is not anywhere near the dashcam and without the chip adapter. Sorry, I’m a complete non-technical. Have been googling my way with this and just not able to figure it out. With adaptor, I know I can access last 3-4 days of videos.
But remotely, is it possible to view live videos and trace your car?
Many thanks
KO
Hello KO,

Current Nextbase Dash Cams are not remotely accessible for customer privacy reasons. This means that you can not access the camera, footage or GPS location when away from the camera.

We are developing a new camera, the IQ, which is remotely accessible. Here's more information: https://nextbase.com/iq-experience

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

Thank you both for reverting. Really helpful.

Had another quick question though..
Does this camera record interior conversations? As I view the recordings, I am unable to hear it though..

Yes, if you activated the audio during set up. The default settings may even be Audio ‘ON’,
But with any car theft there will be theft of possessions too. So a dashcam is fair game.

Last edited:
Exactly as Decking said, the microphone in the 522GW will record internal audio if the Audio setting is turned on.

You can turn on the camera audio directly in the camera's settings:

1) Turn the Dash Cam on
2) Ensure it is not recording (by pressing the red circle if required)
3) Go into Settings (the button in the top left)
4) Go into Video settings
5) Scroll across to ‘Audio’
6) Turn this to 'ON'.

This will only turn on the audio track on the camera recordings, not the notification sounds coming from the camera itself.

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

Thanks for replying.
It’s a bit odd, in settings while setting up, I did click on audio -ON and it shows as well on the screen, a little mic feature (activated). But no audio is being recorded. Could it be a product fault?

If you have ‘Audio’ on, you have no further controls, ie volume etc. so I think it’s safe to assume it could be faulty. I would now contact the seller as you need to replace a faulty item.

Back