Can I add a read cam to a A119 V3?

RedFord

Reaction score
Country
United States
I purchased a 119A3, can I add a rear camera to it?

No, the version that accepts a rear camera is called the A129 Plus Duo.

You can of course have a separate rear camera.

No that is just a single channel model.
Some cameras you can add a rear camera to but they are few and far apart, same as some dual channels you can upgrade the rear camera.
Mind you this are not just plug and play, you have to load a new firmware, and maybe something else too, not a big deal with the right tutorial anyone can do that.

The hardware have to be there to support 2 channels, so in sense you have to put better than needed hardware inside a 1 channel camera to later be able to upgrade it to 2 channels.
So for that reason i think cameras with that option might be a little more expensive, but on the other hand with more powerful hardware inside it might then be able to run higher frame rates in 1 channel mode.

Cameras with a option to do a #2 channel later on should also have a USB port ( mini USB usually ) for the rear camera to connect to.
I am not familiar with the A 119 V3 but i dont think it have a #2 USB plug.

OBS ! the V3 as i recall can be powered thru the mount and so will have a unused USB port in the camera, but that is not for connecting a #2 camera but also just for powering the camera, or maybe connect it to a PC in mass storage mode to copy files off the camera / memory card inside it.

I can understand you for wanting a #2 camera, but trust me i have been running more cameras in my car for many years now, and those really problematic things / events, in 99% of cases they always manifest on the front camera.
And if you get rear ended you dont need to prove that with video it was his fault, your front camera will have you driving along in your lane, so what ever happen back there it surely cant be your fault.
But of course it would be nice to have on video to share, but it is not a must, the guy will probably say you swerved or changed lane just in front of him, your front camera footage will prove that was not the case.

Dont get me wrong the attentive driver will also know there is a lot of WTF going on behind his car, and granted some of that might also be worth sharing just for the WTF factor or funny factor.
So looking at it that way you really cant have too many cameras in your car, personally i have had rear and also side cameras for a few years now, but it is still rare i go to those aside for B roll footage.

Still i think you should enjoy your A 119 V3 in the red Ford for a while, and then when the dream of 2 channels get unbearable, enjoy the joy of donating your A 119 V3 to someone you care about, and then treat yourself to a nice new 2 channel system.

A little side cam action in the last half of this upload of mine.

Last edited:
Soon enough you will be,,,,,, ONE OF US - ONE OF US,,,,,, dashcam addicts :)

You can of course have a separate rear camera.
I agree. If you need a rearview camera then get another identical dashcam, i.e. an A119 V3. You will immediately know how to use and set up the second unit. Also if the front camera were to fail then you have a backup that you can easily swap to the front! ;)(y)

I can understand you for wanting a #2 camera, but trust me i have been running more cameras in my car for many years now, and those really problematic things / events, in 99% of cases they always manifest on the front camera.
Totally agree, however, it's sometimes useful to have evidence of a driver's actions behind. I.e. were they aggressive to other drivers behind you.

And if you get rear ended you dont need to prove that with video it was his fault, your front camera will have you driving along in your lane, so what ever happen back there it surely cant be your fault.
I was stationary in a queue of traffic and the guy behind hit up hard. The police and ambulance were called and the driver admitted to the police that he hit us at 70mph (I'm sure it was more). Fortunately, my wife and I walked away from the collision due to luck but mainly because I have a largish 4x4 (Land Rover Discovery) with a beefed-up towbar, although my wife was on the phone at the time of the collision and sustained permanent nerve damage in her arm and shoulder whilst I sustained a lower back injury. Yes, we were injured but we walked away from the collision and were able to drive the 4x4 home, the other car (a Toyota Yaris) was a writeoff and had no engine bay. In fact, I don't know how the driver and passenger didn't have their legs crushed!

But of course it would be nice to have on video to share, but it is not a must, the guy will probably say you swerved or changed lane just in front of him, your front camera footage will prove that was not the case.
Yes, in the event of an incident it's always good to show a couple of minutes footage before to prove that your driving was beyond blame. However, I wish I'd had a rear dashcam to capture the driver's realisation and reaction just before the impact.

Regards,

Last edited:
Back