Can I disable GPS on the 750?

johnny9999

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know it's possible to disable GPS recording into the footage itself, but when using the viewer software, it's still actually possible to view the GPS position within the software. So all the setting does is stop it being permanelyt stamped onto the recording.

What I want to do is totally disable GPS, so that there is no possibility of getting the GPS position using the BlackVue software.

I want to do this (a) for security and (b) so that parking mode lasts a lot longer.

The latter is particularly frustrating. I have a new car (and hence new car battery) and even with it set to infinity, I only get a couple of hours recording. If my mobile phone is anything to go by, then constantly having a GPS chip on drastically increases power requirements.

Or any other tips/settings I can try?

Thanks

GPS data isn't recorded in Parking Mode (GPS is turned off). The camera senses overall motion (exact algorithm is unclear) to determine the vehicle is moving, which sets it back to Normal mode, which re-enabled the GPS. You'll notice that the blue GPS-Lock light isn't on when in Parking Mode, and doesn't come on until a few seconds (or minutes sometimes) after switching to Normal Mode.

So this is a non-issue.

Thanks for confirming - appreciated.

I wonder if it's possible to permanently disable it in driving mode for security reasons?

It is not. Short of maybe wrapping the camera in tin foil to block the satellite signal from getting through. But since the camera is recording your whereabouts through video files anyway, it's a bit unclear what "security reasons" would warrant that.

I'll leave additional "tin foil" jokes to others. ;)

The GPS data actually gets embedded within each video file. There are cameras with external GPS option. It’s a choice for you to perhaps sell your 750 and get one without the optional GPS if you don’t really want your video files to carry your GPS data.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You can wipe the GPS data from the video by changing the format of the video or even just uploading it to youtube.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S DR750S (1CH or 2CH) 3
Back