Can I power the SGZC12SG with any Mini-USB cable or am I required to use the included adapter

ParanoidDriver

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'd rather just plug in my own USB cable to my multiport USB Adapter that's already occupying my cigarette lighter to charge my phone and other devices. Assuming amperage is high enough, can I just plug a USB to Mini-USB cable into my pre-existing multi-port charger and forgo using the included Cigarette lighter adapter?

micro-USB 5V port on top, is a factory service port only. While you can power up the camera to play with the settings, 1) It won't charge super capacitors, 2) It won't auto-record at startup.

You need to use the side 12V power port on the side. If you want to free up the cigarette lighter port, you should get the Vico-Power Plus hard wire kit with battery discharge prevention/timer and more. That way you can turn on motion detection and take advantage of the parking mode ability

Thanks for the answer. I've been trying to limp along my 4 year old BlackVue DR400GW that has started having a bunch of firmware/sd card issues and this camera looks like a good replacement. I'm not the sort of person that cares about parking mode and don't want to hardwire, so I was hoping to avoid having to run another cigarette lighter adapter to the backseat, but it looks like that's an issue most cameras have. I'm also the one you responded to on Amazon Answers, so thank you for that as well.

micro-USB 5V port on top, is a factory service port only. While you can power up the camera to play with the settings, 1) It won't charge super capacitors, 2) It won't auto-record at startup.

You need to use the side 12V power port on the side. If you want to free up the cigarette lighter port, you should get the Vico-Power Plus hard wire kit with battery discharge prevention/timer and more. That way you can turn on motion detection and take advantage of the parking mode ability

Sorry to cross post on a couple of these threads - but is it possible for you to post Amazon links to everything I need to take in to a car stereo installer to hardwire a front and back camera?

From what I can gather:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00ZPLSITE2 of these - https://shop.pier28.com/index.php/catalogsearch/result/?q=add-a-circuit

Anything else?

Sorry to cross post on a couple of these threads - but is it possible for you to post Amazon links to everything I need to take in to a car stereo installer to hardwire a front and back camera?

From what I can gather:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00ZPLSITE2 of these - https://shop.pier28.com/index.php/catalogsearch/result/?q=add-a-circuit

Anything else?

Which size fuses does your car use? That's the remaining question to figure out which of the add-a-circuit's you need. If you're getting this professionally installed you won't need any actually as they have their own method to tap into the power.

Which size fuses does your car use? That's the remaining question to figure out which of the add-a-circuit's you need. If you're getting this professionally installed you won't need any actually as they have their own method to tap into the power.

I have a 2002 Toyota Avalon, lol, and have no idea. I am getting it professionally installed because I'm an idiot.

Hi Pier28,
Can I power up with micro-USB 5V to record, or even take advantage of the parking mode? Thx

Hi Pier28,
Can I power up with micro-USB 5V to record, or even take advantage of the parking mode? Thx

you can power the camera from Micro USB and record, but keep in mind it is essentially a service port so it won't auto start or recharge the capacitors when powered by USB

I made some demo video to explain how exactly SGZC12SG and SGZC12RC powers up if using 5V external power bank.

Last edited:
Thanks Niko. I mixed up Panorama S behavior with SG. Can't use micro USB port for power as you've demonstrated. (Factory service port)

... it won't auto start ... when powered by USB

My SGZC12RC does auto start when powered by USB. It's permanently in motion detect mode, perhaps it behaves differently in loop-recording mode?

Thx all, is motion detection record working on SGZC12SG powered by 5V external power bank?

Thx all, is motion detection record working on SGZC12SG powered by 5V external power bank?

For both driving and parking mode you need to power via side 12V power plug. To power the SG while away and parked use a Vico-Power Plus.

Don't use 5V microUSB, it's a factory service port only.

Back