Can I test this kit in a rental car easily/simply? DR900S-2CH + Cellink Neo

ShedMonkeySaysNo

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am about to travel for work for 3 weeks and will have a rental car. I believe that I have decided on the BlackVue DR900S-2CH kit for my wife's Honda Ridgeline. I am thinking if I buy the dashcam set and the battery that I should be able to easily set it up in my rental car to test it out, then bring it home and install it into her truck. Is there anything that I am missing? If I get the Neo battery then that plugs into the cigarette lighter. I plug the camera into the Neo battery. I stick the cameras to the front and back windows and let the wires just be loose and wild. For the Ridgeline I plan to have all the wires hidden, hardwire the Neo, and have it all be clean. But I believe that I can be messy and simple and accurately test this kit this way. Am I correct?

Thank you!

To test the all the parts of the setup and to test parking mode.

Your power source.. the cigarette lighter plug may not be on all the time.. Your battery pack may not stay fully charged

I tested Black Vue B-124 using cigarette lighter cable. Now battery is hardwired and still in cigarette mode (lowered energy consumption). Battery is always fully charged, but I'm using parking mode for about 9 hours/day.
To fully charge B-124 40 minutes of charging in hardwire mode is needed.
In cigarette mode 80 minutes of charging is needed.

Yup, easy to test that setup in the rental car. Couple tips below:

1) You want to ensure the 12V socket in the vehicle powers OFF when the car is off, otherwise the Neo will continue to draw power until the vehicle's battery dies - this isn't an issue for the large majority of vehicles so shouldn't pertain to you.
2) You may want to carry a trim tool (should be included with the dash cam) or a small prying tool of some kind, as the adhesives holding the front and rear cams can be tough to remove (a blowdryer works best to soften the adhesives).
3) Bring a spare SD card with you in case you don't have, or have limited access to, a computer so you can save important footage with ease or in case the original card goes bad on the trip.

Back