Can I use a Thinkware Hardwire Kit in A129 Pro?

Milamber

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
A129 Pro Duo
I have a Thinkware Q800 Pro that is hardwired, this is being replaced with a A129 Pro Duo.

To save the hassle of hardwiring the A129 Pro Duo, does anyone know if I can use the existing Thinkware Q800 Pro hardwire kit?

The power cables are the same on both cameras and doing this would save a truck load of cash on installation cost! $200-$350.

I don't know the answer to your question. But I'm curious why you are switching from a Thinkware Q800 Pro to a Viofo A129 Pro Duo.

I have a Thinkware Q800 Pro that is hardwired, this is being replaced with a A129 Pro Duo.

To save the hassle of hardwiring the A129 Pro Duo, does anyone know if I can use the existing Thinkware Q800 Pro hardwire kit?

The power cables are the same on both cameras and doing this would save a truck load of cash on installation cost! $200-$350.

Generally it is recommended you use the manufacturer specific hardwire kit to avoid problems. In your case, these are not the same kits. Not even remotely similar! Look at the end plugs terminating from each hardwire kit.

Whomever told you these two hardwire kits were interchangeable offered an ill informed opinion.

1642205799239.png

1642205761350.png

Last edited:
I don't know the answer to your question. But I'm curious why you are switching from a Thinkware Q800 Pro to a Viofo A129 Pro Duo.
Because of the quality:

Generally it is recommended you use the manufacturer specific hardwire kit to avoid problems. In your case, these are not the same kits. Not even remotely similar! Look at the end plugs terminating from each hardwire kit.

Whomever told you these two hardwire kits were interchangeable offered an ill informed opinion.

View attachment 59595

View attachment 59594

No one told me that these two hardwire kits were interchangeable.

The connection to each dashcam both utilize a micro USB connection, hence the question.

No one told me that these two hardwire kits were interchangeable

Ok.

The connection to each dashcam both utilize a micro USB connection, hence the question.

Well at least from the images, the end connection the hardwire kit for the thinkware isn't a micro usb. It's another type of adapter.

General side note. You are in Australia where it gets very hot. You may consider the street guardian line as a possible alternative to Viofo. They are Australian Based and heat test their products under extreme rigorous conditions. I.E. Australia.

I'm sure the Thinkware dashcams need 12v so trying to adapt that to a 5v mini USB dashcam could be fatal.

I'm sure the Thinkware dashcams need 12v so trying to adapt that to a 5v mini USB dashcam could be fatal.

I would 100% agree. Even if the voltage were identical, trying to splice an adapter to would be unwise. Always best to use the recommended hardware kit provided by manufacturer than attempting to make your own.

Thanks, I have bought the hardware kit instead.

The street guardian is too expensive for a 1080P dashcam and I am now looking for something with higher resolution.

I paid $289 for a A129 Pro Duo as opposed to $512 for the SG.

Edit: And the SG was on sale!

Last edited:
Thanks, I have bought the hardware kit instead.

The street guardian is too expensive for a 1080P dashcam and I am now looking for something with higher resolution.

I paid $289 for a A129 Pro Duo as opposed to $512 for the SG.

Edit: And the SG was on sale!

I haven't price shopped the two, so I'll take your word here. Just stating that SG heat tests the crap out of their products being an Australian Company. Viofo Products aren't bad, but their support is 100% Chinese. Which is pretty basic at its very best.

Viofo makes a good product, but their products do have issues withstanding high temps. As I presume (having never visited Australia) is the case where you live. So just a point worth noting when it comes to parking mode. As I believe the Pro Duo (don't own one) has a thread about overheating. I believe this is generally relegated to parking mode and a vehicle being enclosed. Where a car in motion has windows open or air conditioning circulating air.

Image quality wise, Viofo's do a very good job. I own two A129 Duos (Not the Plus or Pro) and they are rock solid.

Sorry for off topic question Honest Review...

I have the same Viofo cam as you... but haven't used it in quite a while. How's parking mode working for you with it?

Sorry for off topic question Honest Review...

I have the same Viofo cam as you... but haven't used it in quite a while. How's parking mode working for you with it?

I have 2 x A129 Duos hardwired in two vehicles. Both have functioned without a single problem in the 2.5-3 yrs of ownership. Parking mode is set to low bitrate, which records at 30 FPS (real time) but in lesser quality sufficient enough for low action.

I am very pleased with these cameras.

I also run an A139 3 channel in my other vehicle. Heat issues aside on hot days in parking mode, the image quality of this 2K (front) camera is superb. Although the 1080p A129 has a brighter image at night due to larger pixels allowing in more light.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 6

Actually, the two are about identically priced if comparing USD to USD. Since Viofo isn't an Australian company. I looked at both the USD priced sites.

1. Seems the Viofo A129 Pro Duo is $249.99

2. And the Street Guardian SG9663DCPro+ is also $249.99

Although it appears that a google of Amazon Australia turns up a price of $315 AUD for the Viofo A129 Pro Duo.

Actually, the two are about identically priced if comparing USD to USD. Since Viofo isn't an Australian company. I looked at both the USD priced sites.

1. Seems the Viofo A129 Pro Duo is $249.99

2. And the Street Guardian SG9663DCPro+ is also $249.99

Although it appears that a google of Amazon Australia turns up a price of $315 AUD for the Viofo A129 Pro Duo.

Your link goes to some seller called SportGPS.

When posting the A129 Pro Duo from VIOFO Australia and not SportGPS, you end up with $287 AUD with their coupon code.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 2
I have 2 x A129 Duos hardwired in two vehicles. Both have functioned without a single problem in the 2.5-3 yrs of ownership. Parking mode is set to low bitrate, which records at 30 FPS (real time) but in lesser quality sufficient enough for low action.

I also run an A139 3 channel in my other vehicle. Heat issues aside on hot days in parking mode, the image quality of this 2K (front) camera is superb. Although the 1080p A129 has a brighter image at night due to larger pixels allowing in more light.
Thanks a lot for the info.

Btw, I meant to ask... which FW are you using in your A129's? Thanks!

Your link goes to some seller called SportGPS.

When posting the A129 Pro Duo from VIOFO Australia and not SportGPS, you end up with $287 AUD with their coupon code.

Was just an example. But it appears the pricing isn't equal when converted to AUD. Both listed for $249 USD but the Viofo is $287 per AUD per your example and the SG is over $500 AUD.

I looked at USD since I wanted to see a comparison. Not sure if SG is subject to an exorbitant Australian Tax. But Viofo doesn't jump nearly as hard when adjusted from USD to AUD.

Strange when both products sell for the same price in USD but double one another in AUD.

Was just an example. But it appears the pricing isn't equal when converted to AUD. Both listed for $249 USD but the Viofo is $287 per AUD per your example and the SG is over $500 AUD.

I looked at USD since I wanted to see a comparison. Not sure if SG is subject to an exorbitant Australian Tax. But Viofo doesn't jump nearly as hard when adjusted from USD to AUD.

Strange when both products sell for the same price in USD but double one another in AUD.

Gotcha, thats weird how it is double in Australia when it has been designed for climates like Oz.

Had it have been more reasonably priced and not double, I would have considered it.

Always use Firmware Version 1.5. It's beyond rock solid stable and favored among people here.
Is this the latest firmware?

Back