Can I use the time lapse mode and the normal dashcam video recording simultaneously?

Andy555

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
A129 Duo
I haven't used the time lapse mode yet but would like to use it for an upcoming road trip. Are you able to use the time lapse and normal loop recording at the same time or is it only one of the other? And is it possible to only use the time lapse in the front camera?

Last edited:
Sorry, but the answers are no and no.

My suggestion is to copy the recordings from the front camera to a suitable device each day, combine them, then edit the 30fps video into a timelapse, hyperlapse or whatever.

Time lapse is not recommend for normal recording, no audio recorded in this mode.

Remember the limits of time for whatever size SD card you have. The easiest solution is to swap cards mid-day, then download them to your laptop each night. From there you can load to an external drive if you need to, or load them online to a file storage/sharing site. If you do this always remember to turn your cam off before removing or inserting the SD card ;)

Phil

Another option is to carry multiple SD cards and swap. Prices on Samsung EVO Select cards are very good, both 128 and 256GB:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B072HRDM55

Based on my size estimates (per camera):
PM in low bitrate mode = ~30 Mb per sec
PM in 5fps time lapse mode = ~21 Mb per sec
Normal recording mode (high bitrate at 5min files) = ~650Mb

With these settings I can get approx 2-3 days of footage on a 128Gb SD.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses guys, I think I will look into grabbing an extra SD card so can I store some more video. Luckily the trip is not too far.

Back