Can operate CDR* without battery ?

dainova

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,
anybody knows if I can operate this Cam with dead battery. I have my battery dead.
I actually removed it and after that put camera back it worked OK while on Power, but now after couple of weeks
It won't started automatically, date reset back to 2015 each time, etc ... looks like factory reset.
To start it you need to go thru series of clicks.

I just wandering if there any other Cap or battery for chip that died too ?
My replacement on the way.

Tx
M
cder.jpg

When LiPo batteries such as this fail, they usually swell up which can possibly damage the cam. There is also a small chance that the battery will "vent with flames" in this condition (think "hoverboard"). You decide whether those risks are acceptable for yourself.

Most cams will still record with a failed battery if they boot-up properly at starting. The cam battery is there mainly to correctly close the last file on shut-down, so if you are involved in a crash (or otherwise need the most recent file) and the power drops or is turned off, that last file may not be readable. It's usually that last file you need the most. If you let the cam run for longer than it's saved file duration period after an event, that should see the file you need closed properly as another is begun- again in a crash power may drop preventing this.

Good to know you have a replacement on the way! If you decide to continue using this one till the new cam arrives, inspect and watch it closely for signs of excess heat, and to see if a swelled battery is trying to split the case open. If you find either, then stop using the cam.

Phil

There's a reason most dash cam manufacturers have shied away from batteries. They are susceptible to heat, failure, leakage, etc. While cheaper than a super capacitor, they are less reliable long term. On the other hand, if a cap blows or leaks it can kill the camera equally so. I've never attempted a Cap Replacement before so can't speak if that'd be feasible after a leaky cap.

Chances are though, if the cap blows, you've gotten a decent life out of the camera and it's old tech by that point. So easier to upgrade.

From what I understand, there's not much difference in hardware cost to use supercaps. The problem was mainly that SDK's and common system circuitry knowledge didn't tell you how to do it, so it took some engineering development. There was also a scarcity of usable supercaps, as most back them were too large to fit into existing cam cases. Now that all this has been accomplished, the only reason I can see to continue use of LiPo batteries is because the manufacturer is either not knowledgeable about dashcams and the problems they have, or that they are just too dam# cheap to give you your money's worth :(

There have been some cap failures, though nothing catastrophic that I've heard of unlike LiPo's, which have had several such failures documented. The worst cap failure I know of corroded away some traces on the PCB, but the cam owner was able to 'jump' these by soldering in wire to re-make the connection, and the new caps installed worked fine. Well past what the average owner can do but the cam was salvageable, whereas many failed LiPo cams weren't worth repairing but some are. It's worth a try if your skills and tools are up to the job but with caps being so much more reliable and long-lasting the best solution is to use them and avoid the problem altogether.

Phil

Tx, all. any micro electric person can tell how settings stored and if they kept after shutdown (or 1 month shutdown),
I Think should be some other mini power source for chip to keep settings. that was in my case, I removed battery , connect it and I has my 2020 date stored, and used in the same mode for 10 days, on each drive it started automatically .
But now after every disconnect it's brand new like from factory, date = 2015, once you set it, run, disconnect then you back to 2015. Just curious how it works.

* for most CDR Cameras for this series batteries made in 2016, and I think it's time for them to die, even without swelling.

Best
V

Back