Can someone explain in detail what and how the Accessory Cable (3 wire) works?

From memory, I believe the voltage on the ID pin (4) reflects the on/off state of the ACC input to the 3-wire hardwire kit.

Red is power (+5 volts), black is ground (0 volts).

YUP. I bet that is the secret switch circuit how it know or not.
Thanks

YUP. I bet that is the secret switch circuit how it know or not.
Thanks

Seems many have their views on how this thing works. @Iggy at least you got some input lol.
I liked the idea of one electron :) perhaps one day.

This should help understand whats inside and where the yellow wire goes to.

Click on the image to enlarge.

Seems many have their views on how this thing works. @Iggy at least you got some input lol.
I liked the idea of one electron :) perhaps one day.

This should help understand whats inside and where the yellow wire goes to.

Click on the image to enlarge.

Yes! Pictures are worth a thousand words.
Nice board but that is the worst soldering job I have ever seen on a board and wire connections.
Sorry I was NASA qualified solderer (in my military life) when all chips were hand soldered onto boards.lol

So in reality contact power from battery + and -
Yellow is powered when ignition is on with another +

Does the otherside of the PC board have any numbers or manuf name?

So this thing is just a voltage monitor/regulator and no more.

Thank you.

Last edited:
If you think that's below par, you should see my amateur soldering :D

Yes! Pictures are worth a thousand words.
Nice board but that is the worst soldering job I have ever seen on a board and wire connections.
Sorry I was NASA qualified solderer (in my military life) when all chips were hand soldered onto boards.lol

So in reality contact power from battery + and -
Yellow is powered when ignition is on with another +

Does the otherside of the PC board have any numbers or manuf name?

So this thing is just a voltage monitor/regulator and no more.

Thank you.

NASA nice. I read up how NASA advises to crimp wire which for a nerd was great. The Soldering is ordinary. It is supposed to be RoHS compliant perhaps that has something to do with it.
Yes the Red is +12 and so is the Yellow but via Ignition state. e.g. Ignition on Yellow wire powered with 12V.
Due to results below I may go over all the joints.

The IC's perhaps a Buck converter and a Switch mode chip? The other side below.

Because you asked I got curious about the unit and checked if it works correctly.
When the yellow wire has no voltage it does switch the Dash Cam over to Park/Motion mode no problem.

What I also checked was if the cct would switch off the dash cam when the voltage drops below the setting on the slider switch.
It didn't work at all. It only stopped when the actual cct shut off which was around 7 Volts.
If your car battery ever gets that low you would really be stuffed.
Based on my results it would mean a car battery would be drained if left long enough parked.
Did the test on two units and got very similar results.

Update to last paragraph.
The units work fine*. Going over another old thread @CaptureYourAction did many tests and mentioned that once the power is under the set voltage it takes approx 100 seconds to shut the dash cam off. @jokiin also mentioned his kit takes approx 90 seconds. When I re-did my tests and waited 100 seconds in one case and 130 seconds in another the dash shut down fine. @Nigel and @jokiin amongst others also put in to problem solve.
I found that the 3 wire kit from Viofo shut down close to the 12.4 Volts at 12.35 Volts.

*The 3 wire kit seemed to get confused if the voltage level was risen from 7-8 Volts to over 12V it didn't restart the dash cam.
What I think is happening is that an assumption has been made that the dash cam /3 wire kit will always have 12 Volts approx on its +B Red wire which makes sense. The Yellow wire Must also be powered on startup otherwise the 3 wire kit won't start, also mentioned in the other thread.
Sometimes the car will need to be switched of and on again which seems to reset the 3 wire kit to work correctly. This will only happen on a test bench or a low voltage battery I'm guessing.

Free time is a killer for me so I may never get around to the re-soldering.
Other thread; drained-battery-broken-3-wire-viofo-hardwire-kit-or-other-issue.40530/page-5
Click to enlarge.

Last edited:
If you think that's below par, you should see my amateur soldering :D

This may be the Manuf board part number or the ROHS certification #.
The ROHS means it has been register the hazardous substances on the board.
I think the 20180418 is a date code.
Thanks

Will do some research.

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-01-09 205228.jpg
    Annotation 2020-01-09 205228.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
This may be the Manuf board part number or the ROHS certification #.
The ROHS means it has been register the hazardous substances on the board.
I think the 20180418 is a date code.
Thanks

Will do some research.

RoHS I get.
It looks like the board date to me.

Back