Can someone please explain how UK speed camera work??

mcaf123

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
SG9663DC
So I was driving down the M62 from Leeds to Manchester tonight when I passed under one of those gantries with the speed cameras attached to them - one for each lane.
As you'll see from the video I uploaded to YouTube below (set to 8x slow mo and showing front then rear video stream) a car comes from the right hand lane, then moves into my lane. Meanwhile the speed camera flashes twice. However, when you check out the rear camera stream, it appears that the speed camera in the lane to my left, where there is no car even in that lane flashes....can anyone explain this or am I seeing it incorrectly.

What are the tolerances for these things? Is it even 1 or 2mph over 70 that you get flashed? I'm just worried that I got flashed here as I think I had the cruise control set to 72mph at this point.

Pepipoo.com is the place to ask for those of us in Britland. There used to be a leeway of 10% + 2mph over the speed limit, unless exceptional circumstances to warrant prosecution; possibly still is that. 72mph if it was definitely a 70 zone is well within that leeway. The notice of intended prosecution (NIP) has to be served within 14 days of the alleged offence (if the V5 is in your name), plus the time taken to get the notice to you.

edit: just re-read and realised you're interested in the (mis)behaviour of the camera rather than what the law says.

Not sure how those ones work but since the flash lights up all lanes there is only need for one flash gun.

If your car said 72 then you were probably only doing 70 anyway as long as you have the correct size tyres fitted and although they can prosecute you for 1 mph over the speed limit, it is highly unlikely that they would using those cameras since they will not be able to measure that accurately. The actual tolerance they use will probably be decided by the police chief for that area but since we got rid of Tony Blair they probably aren't actually bothering anyway, just using the flash as a deterrent.

Next time, don't break the speed limit and then you don't have to worry!

I had a leaflet through my letterbox from south Yorkshire police in 2009 giving the speeds they prosecute at...

I was surprised to see it at 34 mph in a 30 and 78 0n a motorway...

I had a leaflet through my letterbox from south Yorkshire police in 2009 giving the speeds they prosecute at...

I was surprised to see it at 34 mph in a 30 and 78 0n a motorway...
Those numbers match the 10% over that was mentioned above.

My last ticket (from a motorcycle cop -no speed cameras in Texas that i know of) actually said "more than 10% over posted limit: 46 in a 40"

You pass over a sensor embedded in the road, within nanoseconds it calculate how mych mony you have in your wallet and bank account, and then print out a fine to take most of it.

Here 5 km/h is taken off from the mesurment to cover any flaw in mesuring equipment, and after that it is "pay up sucker"
I dont like these automated traps, but i wouldent mind seeing a cop with a speedgun every 5 km i drive, at least then some one got a job.

Nominal guidelines are 10% +2, ie 79mph and above for the motorway. There has been a recent change whereby the 'Gantry' cameras in the variable speed limit controlled areas no longer operate only when the variable speed limit signs are illuminated. As shown on this attached example from last week, car passed me when I was doing 70mph (ignore GPS reading) and they were probably doing a touch over 80mph and were flashed. The marks on the road are 'validation' marks which allows you to confirm the speed by showing distance travelled between the flashes which is a known fixed time.

There is an article here:

http://www.driving.co.uk/news/drive...-as-motorway-speed-cameras-arrive-by-stealth/

Interesting article..... This country is getting ridiculous

The police here have just gotten 75 new speed mesuring vans, so as long as you slow down when you see a van parked at the side of the road you shold be fine.
And the new equipment is fully digital so they most likely dont have to ditch 25% of the footage they capture. :oops:

Paired up with the new law saying they dont have to indenify the driver in the picture, the fine just go to the owner of the car,and then its his problem collecting if some one borrowed his car, or if its a company car they have to figure out who drove it and pass the fine on to him, or just pay it for him.
Either way incompetence as usual :rolleyes:

Allso we dont have cops enuff to man these vans every day, and the ones we allready have is usually maned by retiered cops making a little on the side of ther pension. ( and you can only work a little before they start to cut in your pension )
And these vans have to be manned by cops or in our case ex cops :rolleyes:
I think the plan still is to put up fixed cameras, and knowing my fellow countrymen this will be a waste of mony as they will be vandalized.

I cant wait to see how much mony those vans have made, and how little impact that will have on the speed ppl drive at.
And not least hear the excuses and lies from the politicians when they comment on that.
That is if we have a single journalist that will confront the politisians with the issue :confused:

It is impossible for me as the person i am to stand up strait and with pride announce " yes i am a Dane" :oops:

You should watch the video embeded in that page entitled: "Moment Speed Camera Operator is confronted in Wales"
Every single time I've seen one of those speed vans in Wales I've been well under the speed limit due to people flashing their headlights at me for several minutes beforehand - I don't think they can make much profit in Wales :D

Same that happen here, and we have the bonus those vans allways park in the same spots.
So in total, the only ones they catch is the monumental stupid ppl.

You should watch the video embeded in that page entitled: "Moment Speed Camera Operator is confronted in Wales"

Slightly longer version here:

Not sure what to make of this. It has to be said, the alleged videomaker, Grant Pain certainly made a lot of trouble for himself. Whether that makes him a public hero, taking a stand against the police state, I don't know!

Legally, it sounds like he was on a hiding to nothing. According to reports elsewhere, the camera operator, just by being in a police van, was not "impersonating a police officer". The UK law on impersonating the police is s.90 of the 1996 Police Act (as amended) -- http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1996/16/section/90

Unsurprisingly, the Act says nothing about civilians being in, or operating from police vehicles, nor whether that could amount to "impersonating" a police officer. You would imagine not though. It would make policing completely impractical. There are loads of civilian workers who are transported in police vehicles. Forensic scientists from private laboratories, coroner's officers, child welfare workers of the local authority, and so on. So long as they don't pretend to be police officers - wearing police uniforms or police insignia and such like - they're surely okay. And that scamera operator made it verbally clear from the very beginning that he was not a police officer.

One cop has been working overtime leaving comments underneath that youtube video, in defence of the police. He says that for the purposes of speeding law, the camera operator is known as the "witness" to a speeding offence. As such, he must be suitably trained and demonstrate competence at operating the camera, and so on. But he doesn't have to be a police officer. Makes sense.

After the street confrontation with the camera operator, two cops visit the videographer's home. A female cop steps over the threshold of the man's doorway. That would actually annoy me too. An Englishman's home is, after all, his castle. By doing that, she was as much confrontational as he was; in refusing to recognise the obvious boundary of the man's property; and she ignored his repeated requests for her to retreat to the public side of that threshold. Whether he is a Pain by name and a pain by nature, she still interfered with his right to "peaceful enjoyment" of his home. (Treaty of Rome; 1950).

The cop's parting comment that she was going to pass on her "concerns" over the man's mental health, as well as questioning his fitness to drive (even though she hadn't actually witnessed him driving, as far as we can see) was like something out of Stalinist Soviet Union. People used to disappear for months or even years there, forced to undergo psycho-corrective treatment simply for challenging authority like this gentleman did. Just by threatening members of the public with the same "treatment", whether they're irritants or not, is half-way to becoming a Stalinist hell-hole right here in Britain.

Curious as it is, we didn't really learn anything much from this. Other than clarifying what we probably already knew about the speeding laws. I did like his accent though! Is he from Wale's perhaps?

This comment in the Daily Mail's coverage is interesting; perhaps there's much more to it? Maybe we're meant to get angered by it, in one way or another? A sort of strategy-of-tension; meant to polarise society into two groups? Divide et Impera, so to speak. Pitting those standing up for the cops and authority, against those demanding the dismantling of the modern surveillance state, and so on. As Dennis from Milton Keynes questions below, was it a real incident, or was it "engineered reality"?

3jDN5Fo.jpg

Either way, thanks for flagging it up, @Error7 !

Last edited:
maybe it's camera angle but it didn't look like there was a whole lot of room for other cars with that van parked there

From Google street view, it looks like it was here: http://goo.gl/maps/Jc3S5

A somewhat strange place to park a scamera van. It's right in the middle of the 30mph zone in the village of Maerdy. Normally they discreetly park the van at the entrance to a 30mph zone, on the outskirts of a village or town. That way they catch loads more people who don't quite slow down in time - meaning much greater revenues for the operators.

These speed scameras are operated in partnerships between the cops, local authorities, the courts and others. They share the revenues between them. The partnership operating that particular van is called GoSafe -- http://gosafe.org/about-us/the-partnership.aspx

The partnerships often have an 'interesting' relationship with the private companies / NGOs that run the "speed awareness courses" - which you have to pay to attend, instead of taking the speeding ticket and fine, if they give you that option. The courses actually cost more than the speeding fine would have been. All a bit incestuous if you ask me.

Gosafe are a very secretive bunch. Their contact address is a PO box number; their internet whois database record lists their web designer rather than themselves; and their Privacy Policy (for the Data Protection Act) is an off-the-shelf template document, that reveals nothing at all:

If you have any questions about this privacy policy or our treatment of your personal data, please write to us by email to [EMAIL] or by post to [POSTAL ADDRESS].

The data controller responsible for our website is [COMPANY/BUSINESS NAME].

Our data protection registration number is [NUMBER].

Last edited:
Back