Can the 522gw be powered by USB?

isdoo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can nextbase cameras be powered by USB.

I would need one that fitted, but before I try and order one does anyone know if it will work?

Hi, yes the 522gw as with most other dash cameras are powered by USB mini b interface.

Thanks. Wasn't sure if it was only via the cigarette socket in the car

If the power plug to the camera is USB it will be 5V, and there will be a 12 -> 5 V converter either in the plug you push into the dash lighter, or some have it in a little box a foot or 2 up the wire from the 12 V plug.
So you can use a multi channel USB charger to power the camera instead of the provided one, just have to be sure it is a good quality one and it can give at least 2.0 A on the port for the camera.
This way you have other USB plugs ready for charging other stuff in the car.

Also if you buy USB wires to bridge the gab between USB charger and camera on windscreen, make sure it is quality cobber USB cables and not cheap CCA ( Cobber Clad Aluminum ) cables with too much resistance in.

I personally missede getting rear ended as the cabel from the front of my car to the rear camera was a too long and too cheap one.

This would be plugged into the USB socket in the car. No cigarette lighter plug used.

?

This would be plugged into the USB socket in the car.
Check the specifications for the USB port in the car. Many of them do not have sufficient output to power a dash cam. In my experience only 2 of 4 vehicles with USB ports had adequate output for my camera(s), for the other 2 vehicles I had to use a 12V to 5V USB adapter in the accessory (lighter) socket.

I see what you want to do. However using the 12v car adapter or a hardwire kit would be the way to connect your camera. Keep the lead out of the way by tucking it in to the weather seal and headlining.

Hi,

Can nextbase cameras be powered by USB.

I would need one that fitted, but before I try and order one does anyone know if it will work?

Hi,

We only recommend using the provided cigarette lighter cable or a Nextbase Hard Wire Kit to power the camera in your vehicle. The USB cable is only designed to be used for computer data usage.

If your vehicle does not have a cigarette lighter socket, then a Hard Wire Kit is the best option. Here's more information:
https://www.nextbase.com/en-gb/accessories/series-2-hardwire-kit/

Here's how to install:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wml4-DJ0YuM&t=

Kind regards,
Millie

Nextbase Technical Support

Back