Can the default video file names that the dash cam creates be changed?

richcam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
2x0801, 0806 (broken), Mobius 1, Mobius 2, Auto-Vox B60
I realise that video file names can be changed on my computer at a later date, but am just wondering whether it is possible to change the default file names used by the 080* range of dash cams so that they are unique to that particular dashcam.

The reason I ask is because I now have two 0801 models and an 0806 and they all use the same filename for recording video, all starting with AMBA****, so at some point in the future when copying files to my computer there will be a duplicate name and one of them will be accidentally overwritten!

If manually making the change is not possible by the user in the settings options, is there some way for the manufacturer to change the format slightly to reflect the model and month/year of manufacture?

Start one of them off at number AMBA5001.MOV, with 5 minute files it will be some time before the other reaches 5000 and by then you probably wont want the first.

Might be nice if "AMBA" was replaced with the driver number stamp - something for Rayman to think about...

Start one of them off at number AMBA5001.MOV, with 5 minute files it will be some time before the other reaches 5000 and by then you probably wont want the first.

Might be nice if "AMBA" was replaced with the driver number stamp - something for Rayman to think about...

changing the filename like that is a major SDK change, why they use the generic AMBA version though is a mystery, can also be date based which makes sorting easier

changing the filename like that is a major SDK change, why they use the generic AMBA version though is a mystery, can also be date based which makes sorting easier
It all comes from the "Design rule for Camera File system" specification which is supposed to make things simple and compatible between imaging devices (cameras, printers etc) but seems remarkably complicated with all the multiple levels of multiple folders it creates under certain circumstances! Trying to modify it without causing compatibility issues would be a nightmare but presumably the "AMBA" bit could be changed without issue.

It all comes from the "Design rule for Camera File system" specification which is supposed to make things simple and compatible between imaging devices (cameras, printers etc) but seems remarkably complicated with all the multiple levels of multiple folders it creates under certain circumstances! Trying to modify it without causing compatibility issues would be a nightmare but presumably the "AMBA" bit could be changed without issue.

I just meant the naming convention being a major change, not the folder structure etc

Instead of the AMBA prefix it can be date based naming convention, I had this done 18 months ago, once we requested this it is in the SDK for everyone, it just makes file handling for people that like to archive their footage much simpler

To allow your own user selectable prefix is a good idea as an option but to make that possible it needs to be supported in the SDK which needs to be done by Ambarella, once they did that the firmware would then need to be redone from source, it's a major undertaking, I can't imagine the manufacturer (or Ambarella) seeing the upside of that

Perhaps change the rather generic AMBA to the name of the camera and increase the marketing potential for that particular make of camera or dash camera, so say goodbye to AMBA and hello to 0801**** and 0806****

Perhaps change the rather generic AMBA to the name of the camera and increase the marketing potential for that particular make of camera or dash camera, so say goodbye to AMBA and hello to 0801**** and 0806****

that would be less work and easier to do

Here's a thought for existing info displayed on the screen, perhaps show the default info as the camera type, perhaps 0801 or 0806. I say this after uploading a few jpgs I noticed that only the date and time is shown, surely it would be in the manufacturers interest to display the camera type alongside the time and date - is free advertising potentially replayed across the world. Surely this is relatively simple to implement in the firmware updates?

Here's a thought for existing info displayed on the screen, perhaps show the default info as the camera type, perhaps 0801 or 0806. I say this after uploading a few jpgs I noticed that only the date and time is shown, surely it would be in the manufacturers interest to display the camera type alongside the time and date - is free advertising potentially replayed across the world. Surely this is relatively simple to implement in the firmware updates?

that's very easy to do

That's why I like G90's naming.
The clips have datetime as name.

That's why I like G90's naming.
The clips have datetime as name.

that's a default option that is available in the SDK, as I mentioned no idea why they thought using the AMBA prefix was worthwhile, that's generally reserved for the low end public stuff where nobody gives a damn

that's a default option that is available in the SDK, as I mentioned no idea why they thought using the AMBA prefix was worthwhile, that's generally reserved for the low end public stuff where nobody gives a damn
I hate filenames that are generic.
My Sony nex does the same thing.
0002 and so on.
I have to rename them with datetime and also the filename starts with 0001 again when the old 0001 file is deleted or a new card is used.
I've overwritten few files in the computer as I thought they were same file. :mad:

this came up about 3 years ago and I had a customer that wrote a small app that auto renamed the files as a batch process as he liked to archive all his footage, that's when we had a think about the logic and went to date based naming

You should try AntRenamer ! It's a freeware which is able to batch-rename a bunch of files or folders based on their attributes like creation date and time or camera model through metadata ! Enjoy.

Back