Can the Infrared Cameras damage our eyes over time?

FatStrawPDX

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm just curious, can the Thinkware Infrared Cameras pointing towards my face in the car damage my eyes overtime?

I'm just curious, can the Thinkware Infrared Cameras pointing towards my face in the car damage my eyes overtime?
Depends on how powerful the LEDs are, but given that the entire camera is rated at a little over 1 watt power consumption, the LEDs can probably be considered safe as long as it is not very close to your face.

The problem with Infrared lights is that since your eyes cant see it, your eyes don't close up to protect themselves if there is a very bright light and then the very bright light can then burn your retina causing permanent damage. If it is not bright enough to burn then there is no health issue, unlike ultraviolet which can increase the risk of skin cancer even if it doesn't burn.

Looking straight into an infrared flood light at close range when it is on is genuinely dangerous. The problem is that there is no way to tell if something is dangerous or not until it is too late, and the damage can be permanent. Looking straight into a 1 watt visible LED torch at close range is a bit uncomfortable even though your eyes do close up!

Depends on how powerful the LEDs are, but given that the entire camera is rated at a little over 1 watt power consumption, the LEDs can probably be considered safe as long as it is not very close to your face.

The problem with Infrared lights is that since your eyes cant see it, your eyes don't close up to protect themselves if there is a very bright light and then the very bright light can then burn your retina causing permanent damage. If it is not bright enough to burn then there is no health issue, unlike ultraviolet which can increase the risk of skin cancer even if it doesn't burn.

Looking straight into an infrared flood light at close range when it is on is genuinely dangerous. The problem is that there is no way to tell if something is dangerous or not until it is too late, and the damage can be permanent. Looking straight into a 1 watt visible LED torch at close range is a bit uncomfortable even though your eyes do close up!

Meh. I'm just going have to assume that I'm safe with the Thinkware since they're a big name company and I'm sure they've done testing to make sure it was safe before releasing their products.

Meh. I'm just going have to assume that I'm safe with the Thinkware since they're a big name company and I'm sure they've done testing to make sure it was safe before releasing their products.
Don't stare at the LEDs while they are on and you should be OK, they can't be very powerful ones.

Back