Can the Key Button wire be extended

pnickisson

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I installed the DVR in my boot as that is the coolest area (I am in Saudi Arabia and need the DVR to be out of the ****pit area as it gets incredibly hot in there when the outside temp is 55 Degrees C).

The installation is working great however the key button is not long enough to have it at the front Centre Console which is where I would prefer to put it. Its about 1.5 Feet too short.

Does anyone know if there is a way of extending the key button wire, by cutting into it and connecting some extra cable so I can put it where I would like it to be?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum.

You will have to DIY something in that case as i am not aware of anything official in this regard.
I suppose you could cut it and extend it, the only mission critical connection in there is the microphone, which i assume you do not want to loose quality on.
The camera wires in this case 2 of them, or for other systems the wire to the remote rear camera, those are highly advised against messing with, but these are also both power and signal ( video ) wires, so more complex than the remote button wire of the DR system.

But i am guessing here, not aware of anyone that have done it.

Thank you - Yes I was thinking of using some good quality twisted copper speaker wire to extend it that way I should not have an issue with the sound from the microphone.

Thank you for the information about the other wires, fortunately I do not have to mess with them as they are OK as they are.

I was hoping on the off chance someone else might have been brave enough and done this before to see if was possible.

Thank you - Yes I was thinking of using some good quality twisted copper speaker wire to extend it that way I should not have an issue with the sound from the microphone.

Thank you for the information about the other wires, fortunately I do not have to mess with them as they are OK as they are.

I was hoping on the off chance someone else might have been brave enough and done this before to see if was possible.
Maybe @Street Guardian USA will have an answer?

I wouldn’t try to extend it via DIY, would most likely break the microphone etc. I’ll ask the factory what’s possible but it will take a few weeks to hear back.

I think i have heard once before about a person feeling the remote button was on a too short wire, so it might be a idea to lengthen it a little in future production runs.

I have the main unit tucked into a compartment in the boot (trunk). The cable only just reaches far enough to mount the remote in the centre near the gear lever, armrest etc. There's no way it would reach to the dashboard if I wanted to mount it there.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
runar SG9663DR 14
Back