Can Xaiomi Yi film while USB powered?

thegodoy

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Yes guys, I know it can film while "charging" (with the battery inside) but I have read that this can be dangerous to the hardware because it stays very hot. (And I tried it, its true lol)

Then, I want to know if the Xiaomi Yi can film, while USB powered but without the battery connected.

Thanks guys!

Yes it can.
Did a 3 hours time lapse using USB battery bank.
h

Yes it can.
Did a 3 hours time lapse using USB battery bank.
h
Hi HMS9999, thanks guy... today I tried it: I put my Xiaomi Yi (without battery) directly connected to a Pineng PN-968 10.000 mAh power bank. It started to recorder perfectly, but after some time (around 15min) it simply turned off... then I tried again... after around 1 minute, it powered off again... =/ Maybe, with the timelapse (photo mode) it works, but with video (1080 30fps) it doesn't...

DETAILS:
  • Video Mode: 1080p 30fps
  • Wireless: OFF
  • Input Power: 5V 1A (through power bank)
  • Li-Ion Battery: Disconnected
  • SD Card: Micro SD 32 GB (But not Class 10, tomorrow I will try with a Class 10 64 GB).
  • Total Recorded Size: 2.10 GB

Any suggestion?

Hmmm,
Just tried now, and it timed out after about 9 mins using usb power bank and no internal battery. 1080p 1920 x 1080 25fps.
Cat 10 card, so unlikely to be write speed causing problems.
Added internal battery, over 12 mins and it's still recording.
So, don't have a clue!
H

Try it from a USB phone charger rather than a power bank, some power banks turn off after a while if not enough load detected

Hi HMS and jokiin!

I tried again, with a 64GB Class 10 SD Card and no success.. :(

Then, I tried with a Car Charger 1A and..... no success again... :(

Now, I'm thinking that probably the Xiaomi Yi's Circuits can be protecting him from a external power source, and start to design a Circuit that can simulate a 3.7V battery, to be directly connected to the battery connector. What u think?

Attachments

• export.png
    export.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 41
Hey guys, I'm thinking now....

Is there any chance the firmware is blocking it? o_O

not sure if your circuit there will work but some devices do use a dummy battery when setup to a permanent external power source so your thinking is on the right track, whether it can be done on this device though I have no idea

Guys, I really don't know WTF.... but...

Today, with exactly the "SAME" powerbank (Pineng PN-968), and the Xiaomi Yi without internal battery... it worked!:eek:

:D:D:D:D:D Yeah, it worked... :D:D:D:D:D

I recorded more than 2h of 1920 x 1080p 30fps video without any break! And with Wireless!

Ok, the camera warmed , but, nothing Wooow..., just hot.

Now I really don't know what was going on

Thanks all you, jokiin, HMS9999 and Hms

Attachments

• filmagem.jpg
    filmagem.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 37
I would always remove the battery if you're going to power it from an external source. This keeps the load on the external source and prevents some of the heat issues from cropping up. I've run one for ~30 hours before from a power pack without issue.

I would always remove the battery if you're going to power it from an external source. This keeps the load on the external source and prevents some of the heat issues from cropping up. I've run one for ~30 hours before from a power pack without issue.

Great tip! Thanks.

I'm trying take a picture with an internval of 5 minutes for 10 hours and only a couple of times it has, i tried different sistems of refrigeration in the case was a heating problem, but nothing works. Generally only take pictures for about 5 hours and stops executing the script. Sorry for my english.

Back